Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to curl up in a ball.. why does she hate my breast?

Default Re: I want to curl up in a ball.. why does she hate my breast?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    When you say she was biting, was this a time when she was being pushed towards the breast?
    Both when she was pushed and when she was supposedly latching correctly, with and without the sheild.

How did she do with spoon feeding or syringe feeding? Did she willingly accept the milk?
    She willingly accepted the milk, spoon feeding was only done the first couple of feeds. As for the syringe it is one that is hooked up to a tube and run into the sheild. We try to get her to keep sucking for let down because she wants instant satisfaction.

Does she become frantic with the sheild, the syringe, or both?
    Both, they are used together. She used to just fall asleep when she didnt get the instant gratification she wanted or at worst cry and arch back. The frantic flaling started on Saturday after a couple of successfull feeds in the morning when we were attempting a nurse in weekend to get rid of the bottles.

Can you think of anything that is different at the LC's office? Baby's position, the hold, how you were sitting?
    I try the same holds, football and cross cradle. I worry when Im at home Im not getting her lined up right.

You sound frustrated.
    Thanks. It is devastating to have her scream at my breast.

Let me be sure I'm understanding you, hypnomama. Are you saying that you are currently pumping 20-30 ounces above and beyond your baby's daily needs?
    Yes. She typically eats 20-24 oz in a day and I pump 40-50 oz sometimes more, never less.

Could you describe what happens when you attempt to nurse (step by step)?
    Most often we try to do skin to skin for 30 minutes to an hour before hand. I try to nurse before she gets really hungry, but sometimes it is like she goes zero to 60 in just a few seconds. Then I put on my breast sheild and run the tube from the syringe into the end and pump in a bit of milk. We usually put about 10 ml of milk in the syringe to keep her interested. From the bottle she will typically eat 2-3 every 2 hours. My husband helps me position her on either the breast friend or the boppy most often in the football hold. My breasts are 38 E so it takes both of my hands to hold them up and keep the stupid sheild on since she flails at it. we wait till she opens wide and hubby guides her head with a finger on each side under her ears (we heard touching the back of her head could be traumatic for her) Then if she will suck a couple times she figures out there is milk and we continue to slowly push supplemental mm into the sheild with the syringe. Sometimes she will keep going after the milk is gone and sometimes she wont. Hubby does compressions to get the milk flowing. Even if she does continue, it isnt as if she vigorously sucks for 15 minutes, she will go through stages, but we do see the swallow movement and hear the pause. Sometimes during then session she will come off and then go back on on her own. Sometimes she comes off and I have to help her back on by guiding my breast back into her mouth. Sometimes she comes off and just becomes completely frantic flaling at the breast. When she does this we try to get her to suck on our upside down pinkie to get the movement going and make sure her tongue is down and then put her back to the breast.

Are your breasts engorged?
    No. I make sure that they are not too engorged and either wear my breast shells for 30-60 minutes before we try to feed her or roll my nipple to help it stand out more. I also try to hand express some milk to make it easier. I havent tried it yet, but I was thinking of pumping till I let down and then trying to feed her.

Is your baby able to extend her tongue beyond her gumline now?
    YES! She is also able to cup my finger well and do the proper wave motion. At the IBCLC's office she got 2 oz of milk in about 15 minutes from both breasts on Friday.

Does your baby fight the bottle or any other object that is put into her mouth?
    We dont put anything else in her mouth besides our finger. She would sometimes appear confused as to how to drink from the breast flow nipple and get very frustrated, but eventually take the bottle. After our attempt to phase out bottles this weekend she has had a couple of bouts of fighting the bottle. They have both happened when I have not had milk at room temp and she had to wait for a couple of minutes for it to heat. By the time the milk heated she was so frantic she just wouldnt take anything, finger, bottle... it took half an hour for her to calm down and finally take the milk. She rooted wildly at the bottle and finally figured out how to drink from it.

When she does latch on and nurse comfortably, is there anything that stands out about that scenerio (time of day, position, hunger level, who initiated feed, ect)?
    It is usually when I have been using the shells to draw out my nipples, at the LCs she can be super hungry and still eat, whereas at home, we have to catch her before she gets very hungry, at home she has only successfully fed 5 times, 1 was in the middle of the night, 3 were in the morning and one was in the afternoon. They have been in both the football and cross cradle.

When your baby is skin to skin, does she ever attempt to self attach?
    She is totally uninterested in the nipple without the sheild. She has no idea what to do with it even if I hand express into her mouth. I dont typically hang around with the sheild on when we arent trying to nurse because I drip. She will sometimes root/ mouth my chest to my nipple area but not try to suck.

Are you still seeing your IBCLC? Do you have local support (such as LLL)? Do you have any help at home...anyone taking care of YOU?
    Yes, I was planning on seeing her again, we have seen her every week since the baby was born. The thought was to come back after we transitioned from the bottle completely for a before and after weigh. I spoke with and IBCLC and LLL leader from another town (the one from my town never calls me back. I called her before I had the baby and after) and I think Im going to see if she will come out for a home visit. The IBCLC Ive been seeing is attached to the hospital and doesnt do home visits.

Yes, I do have help at home. My husband works from home so he is always here to help and take care of me. At this point I cant even attempt to nurse without him since it is like wrestling an octopus

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.
    Last edited by hypnomama; February 12th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypnomama View Post
    Both when she was pushed and when she was supposedly latching correctly, with and without the sheild.
    Sometimes newborns clamp down when there is a forceful flow of milk. Another cause is when baby's head is held in an unstable fashion (the head is wobbling in the arm, for example). Does she clamp down consistantly at every feeding, even on the bottle? Or is this something that only happens at the breast?

Yes. She typically eats 20-24 oz in a day and I pump 40-50 oz sometimes more, never less.
    Are you comfortable producing at that level? Do you find that your milk sprays forcefully during let-down?

Most often we try to do skin to skin for 30 minutes to an hour before hand. I try to nurse before she gets really hungry, but sometimes it is like she goes zero to 60 in just a few seconds. Then I put on my breast sheild and run the tube from the syringe into the end and pump in a bit of milk. We usually put about 10 ml of milk in the syringe to keep her interested.
    How would you feel about hand expressing until let-down, then put on the shield and latch baby on? That would save setting up the tube and syringe.

No. I make sure that they are not too engorged and either wear my breast shells for 30-60 minutes before we try to feed her or roll my nipple to help it stand out more. I also try to hand express some milk to make it easier. I havent tried it yet, but I was thinking of pumping till I let down and then trying to feed her.
    That's a great idea. Would you please try it and let us know how it goes?

YES! She is also able to cup my finger well and do the proper wave motion. At the IBCLC's office she got 2 oz of milk in about 15 minutes from both breasts on Friday.
    That is wonderful news!

It is usually when I have been using the shells to draw out my nipples, at the LCs she can be super hungry and still eat, whereas at home, we have to catch her before she gets very hungry, at home she has only successfully fed 5 times, 1 was in the middle of the night, 3 were in the morning and one was in the afternoon. They have been in both the football and cross cradle.
    Have you seen these resources?
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/flat.html
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun89p35.html

She is totally uninterested in the nipple without the sheild. She has no idea what to do with it even if I hand express into her mouth. I dont typically hang around with the sheild on when we arent trying to nurse because I drip. She will sometimes root/ mouth my chest to my nipple area but not try to suck.
    That's a great start! Even if she doesn't latch on, it's letting her know that the breast is a safe and happy place to be.

If the nipple shield is helping now, then my best suggestion is to use it. It might help to remember that it's simply a tool that you can use to help your baby exclusively nurse. Here is some information about using (and weaning from) nipple shields:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html (non-LLL resource)

Yes, I was planning on seeing her again, we have seen her every week since the baby was born. The thought was to come back after we transitioned from the bottle completely for a before and after weigh. I spoke with and IBCLC and LLL leader from another town (the one from my town never calls me back. I called her before I had the baby and after) and I think Im going to see if she will come out for a home visit. The IBCLC Ive been seeing is attached to the hospital and doesnt do home visits.
    It's great that you're continuing to see your IBCLC. I hope you do get a chance to meet with your LLL Leader. The extra support can really make all the difference!

Yes, I do have help at home. My husband works from home so he is always here to help and take care of me. At this point I cant even attempt to nurse without him since it is like wrestling an octopus
    That's wonderful!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.
    You're very welcome.

My baby boy is 3weeks old also. He absolutely screamed, yes frantically for our first two weeks. I have large breasts w/flat nipples. I had to do the sandwich. It was like getting his mouth on a bowling ball. I have tried it all. I found by accident that he would only nurse after a bath. Soon he was taking 8baths a day. We were really going through the lotion to keep his skin soft. Each day he improves. We are still in an uphill battle. I have a white dot on the left breast, ugh! He seems to be falling asleep after 10mins. I take it away immediately now to rouse him. Before I was letting him stay on (for hours on end) since getting a good latch was a nightmare. Once I found it I didn't dare remove him.
    He also will stay calm in front of a heater (not to close), with the vacuum on, or just the steamy shower running. He would not eat if he wasn't swaddled either. Most say skin to skin, which makes sense to me. He hates it. My point is keep trying! Set a goal. We are going for 4weeks right now. Then I will reset my goal. Do what works best for you. My bb boy and I have had to learn patience with eachother. We have had little to no support. People even comment about how I shouldn't breastfeed with other children present. My grandmother is sure I'm starving him to death. There just isn't enough women around to teach us new bf moms how its done these days. Odd how bf seems to be out of the norm where I live. I will so happy to teach my daughters/granddaughters with love and understanding.

Sorry to ramble, I wish you the very best. Read a formula cans ingredients (scary)! It will clench your decision to nurse your bb.

I'm not a professional by any means. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I just keep in mind that each feeding is another lesson for him. As he gets older he will understand that moms got the good stuff!