Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sign of Deficiency?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Sign of Deficiency?

My 8 mo ds have under eye circles. I have heard/read that it is caused by a deficiency of some type, either low iron or vitamin D. Is there any truth to this? Are there foods I could introduce to his diet that would make these go away? I have them too, by the way, always have.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Sign of Deficiency?

Not too sure. I know at 9months most (at least my older two kids) have their iron checked. However, like you I have heard dark circles mean low iron.

Sorry not much help.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Just thought I'd let you know that I've heard that dark circles under the eyes can be a sign of allergies. My DS has some allergies, although I haven't seen them on him. However, I know that it always comes up in the reading that I do as a possible symptom - "allergy shiners". If you or his father have any allergies, or you've seen any other possible allergy symptoms (rashes, etc.), you may want to ask your pediatrician about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newmommy_07 View Post
    Just thought I'd let you know that I've heard that dark circles under the eyes can be a sign of allergies. My DS has some allergies, although I haven't seen them on him. However, I know that it always comes up in the reading that I do as a possible symptom - "allergy shiners". If you or his father have any allergies, or you've seen any other possible allergy symptoms (rashes, etc.), you may want to ask your pediatrician about it.

I was going to say the same thing. Elijah always had dark circles under his eyes until we found he was allergy to dairy. I always thought people were looking at me badly b.c. it looked like my kid was not sleeping.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

I think maybe dr sears has something on his web site about dark circles...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/ci33.asp

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

He's been given excellent health reports, so I think it could be allergies. We have dogs who shed fur and dander. Neither my hubby nor I have bad allergies, except he to certain types of mold and I just get hay fever in the spring. He sleeps well for the most part. I'll ask at his next appt. just to be certain. Thanks for the ideas.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!