Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much iron? TMI

Question Too much iron? TMI

I am so worried I have another baby with pooping issues. (long long story)

Dd2 seems to be having a hard time pooping ever since I started solids on her. My dr told me to keep her on cereal once a day only until her 6month check. Well I did not listen and gave her some applesauce and carrots and she loves, but I think I am giving her too much iron.

She did poop yesterday this long dark green and black snake. Followed by some runny green. I have never seen green poop before.

Now this is what I have been doing. For four mornings I have been mixing her cereal with formula because I forgot to unthaw her bm. I know I know I am dumm and she wanted to eat NOW. I also wanted to make sure she was getting enough vitamins and stuff. (I do not eat as well I should and want to) I also started her on the tri poly vitamins with iron and I take my prenatal with iron. I have stopped mixing her cereal with formula and put a few bags of frozen milk in the frige for the week. Any other thoughts?
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Too much iron? TMI

It should probably work itself out in a day or so. If I give my LO just vitamins (we don't do cereal) it makes his turds hard and dark. After I stopped the vitamins things were much smoother.

Cereal is usually iron fortified, and formula is as well, so maybe it was too much. Here's a link I referred to when my LO started solids. And you don't have to start with cereal, so it's ok that you gave her apples and carrots.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

and here's one about iron

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Cereal makes my lo constipated with painful poops, so I stopped.

Did you give the carrots, applesauce and vitamins on the same day? If so, you might want to take them all out of her diet, wait a couple of days, and then add them in one at a time (wait a couple of days in between). Then you might have a better idea of what is causing the problem.

My money would be on the vitamin with iron, though (just as you suspected). Iron supplements can cause constipation. When my son's were that age they wouldn't even take the vitamins because they tasted so terrible - you're doing better than I did just to get her to take it!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by KristiJo View Post
    Did you give the carrots, applesauce and vitamins on the same day? If so, you might want to take them all out of her diet, wait a couple of days, and then add them in one at a time (wait a couple of days in between). Then you might have a better idea of what is causing the problem.

My money would be on the vitamin with iron, though (just as you suspected). Iron supplements can cause constipation. When my son's were that age they wouldn't even take the vitamins because they tasted so terrible - you're doing better than I did just to get her to take it!

Good luck!
    No was only giving her a fruit or a veggie at dinner time and cereal for breakfast. Only today did I give her both in one day and dropped the cereal mixed with formula. If she is still unhappy tomorrow I am dropping the vitamins.

My trick (worked for my older two as well) is put the vitamin in their food. aka cereal or even a fruit something you know the will eat all of. As my kids got older it went into their morning milk. The milk killed the taste and I was one step ahead.

Also- my outlook on it all ( vitamins and such) is until they show a need for them, don't bother with them. At her appt he should be able to get her iron checked to see if she even needs any supplementation, but until 6 mo, she really shouldn't. And if she does there are foods you can give her before going to vitamins. kiwm?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Ikwym

I would cut out the cereal and the vitamin.... just give her vit D
    www.sunlightvitamins.com makes the JUST d that I give my lO. I hate infant cereal- it has nothing going for it but added iron that constipates babies. stick with fruits and veggies and other things like beans and meats. Its the iron that makes her poop black and hard.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!