Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding and cavities

Default breastfeeding and cavities

hey there
    just wanted to throw this out:
    anyone have a toddler nursling?
    anyone's bfing child have probs w/ cavities?
    i have a pediatric dentist that makes me feel poorly about bfing. she is in an "upscale" area, recommended, reputable, kind, smiles, soft-spoken-my son loves her! they have a train on the ceiling, the kids wear cool sunglasses, they even snapped and printed a pic for me and brought it out in the waitning room for hubby and me cuz we were apprehensive about allowing him to go in by himself during the visit. thats another thing they will not allow parent to go in w/ child/ they said it inhibits their relationship w/ child, that kids do better when parent isnt there to " rescue" them. is this normal- my parents said they always left us, and looking back- they did--but i dont remember being like 2
    anyway, although the doc and staff are so awesome, i always ask my hubby if i should just lie this time when she asks if hes still breastfeeding. ive always just admitted yes hes still nursing--she doesnt really say anything rude, but i just get this feeling.....................they definitely believe that bf causes cavities. she said i should brush his teeth after evrytime since he got that first tooth---imagine cosleeping, 6month old or now hes 2.75, this beautiful little kid is so happy, fell asleep nursing-im gonna brush his teeth? let me just order up a dose of chaos w/ a side of temper tantrum!
    so hes had 2 cavities---our last 2 three-month visits-cavity free............hopefully we can "pass the test" in march and only be recommended to go every 6 months
    sorry so long-this has been a sore spot for me since 12/2006!!!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

Default Re: breastfeeding and cavities

Funny, dh and I were just wondering about this. I sent him this same article. Looks like there is no correlation between bf and cavities

BTW...if you scroll down to the links at the bottom, there is additional info/studies as well!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

There's lots to read about when it comes to nursing and dental issues!
    Here's another article:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...yJun06p27.html
    Also, if you search the this forum for "caries" you'll find the topic has come up several times and you'll be able to read the experiences of many others.
    HTH!
    Mary

Just wanted to comment on the staff not wanting parents in the back...I'm a dental assistant and it's true, kids behave better and listen to the staff better when parents aren't there. More times than not, it makes the whole experience better for everyone.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

I asked my dentist a couple of years ago and he said that the sugars in breastmilk are NOT the sugars that cause cavities.
    My 3 year old has her first appointment in a couple of weeks, we'll see how it goes.

I just think some kids are more susceptible (sp). Good luck!

Mine's 20 months and has 2 cavities behind his front top two teeth. His one front tooth is chipped really bad. We first went to the ped. dentist to check on the crack. The first dentist we saw was rude and very anti bf - we didn't go back. The second dentist we saw and continue to see is a lot better. She said that the bm itself was not bad but that if the teeth had any other residual food particles there, then the bm can stick to that and form a matrix and this can accelerate the formation of cavities. Honestly prior to going to the dentist we were not doing such a good job brushing DS's teeth. Now we're more aware. However, the dentist is encouraging us to try to switch up the bedtiem routine to be bf, brush, books, bed. Currently bf is last on the list

So... yours had 2 cavities -- did you fix them? How'd it go. We're waiting until he's 2 b/c at that time he may be a candidate for oral sedation...

Well.......being first time parents, we did not do a great job at first brushing his teeth.....I mean who wants to hold their kid down screaming and kicking just to brush his teeth....? he got his 2 bottom teeth first, then the 2 top teeth.....then the rest start coming in and i happened to notice that his 2 top teeth were a little brown....right around 8 to 9 months of age......so we started the battle of the teeth brushing, and were losing......DS starts to learn to walk right around this time......decides to learn to RUN fast and fall on his face!......comes up screaming with a bloody lip and I notice that his front right tooth is chipped.......!!!!!! OH NO! we find a infant child dentinst to go get him checked out....right away she goes into does he still breastfeed?.....we say YES ON DEMAND! Does he sleep through the night?? NO he does NOT...wakes up about 3 to 4 times to BF.......He loves to BF....Do we brush his teeth after every feeding and do we co sleep???? NO and YES........Well maybe you need to cut him off the night feeding......WHAT? So we press on, try to limit the night feeding, keep up on brushing his teeth cause the dentist said that the chip was not that bad and just to watch it and we will see him in 3 months.....well the teethbrushing battles continue and DS is VERY strong willed....well DS decides to run more over great grammys house and falls into the coffee table chipping it worse...OH NOOOO .......RUSH back to the dentist and they ask how is the breastfeeding at night?? they look at the tooth and they say they will let it go further it is not that bad, well a couple days later DS is eating something I cant even remember what and He starts crying and I see his front tooth pretty much in pieces and I fish it out of his mouth.....at this point if he even sees a toothbrush near him kicking and screaming biting kicking and now hitting......but you cant blame him with all the busted teeth figure it has too hurt........then DS got the flu really really bad and he required hospitalization after 5 days of not eating and being cranky RUSHED him to childrens hospital.....brushing his teeth being so miserable was just a horrible thing to do but it had to be done.....he was not eating AT ALL and his boobies were the only thing keeping him nourished.....he had to have IV fluids and the whole time his little nub tooth was hurting him cause he would keep hitting his mouth and stuff like that indicating pain.....DS gets better.....but the toothbrushing battles continue and we watch what seemed like his teeth dissolving in front of our eyes! So back to the dentist we go....they really know us good there....and they ask how is the night feeding going???And we say he is almost done, but little does she know after our traumatic experience with the flu and the hospital he was back to nursing all NIGHT LONG.....!! SOOO they say that we can fix his teeth and we dont believe in any sedation or novacaine but we will RESTRAIN HIM and do the work.......WHAT?????? RESTRAIN HIM? We will have to think about it?? Few more days go by and DS's tooth is really hurting him, we call and make the appointment and they could not get him in for another week.....the week went by and the big day came.....we would have to leave DS for the first time EVER...he would not be with mum mum or daddy...out of our sight.......He knew what was up, but they tricked him in with a book, we turned around and walked out and they shut the door immediately behind us, right away we feel distreessed......we are listening for screams and can hear them faintly through the walls....they turn the music up so as to not scare other kids.....we had to go outside.....came back in about 10 minutes later and the music was still loud.....what seeemed like an eternity, they finally came back and said we are done mum mum rushes back and everything seems OK....he bit the dentist! But he had new teeth! So he had to basically get the right front tooth reconstructed, it was barely salvageable, the left front tooth needed drilled and filled and the right 2nd tooth needed drilled and filled also and that one was the worst surprisingly.....so after that episode needless to say he did not want anyone comin near his mouth with anything!!!!!!! NO JOKE!!!!! But we kinda got it back under control......then he had cavity creeps on a molar and he had to get drilled and filled not too long ago and then the filling on the front tooth broke off so he had to get that drilled and filled again!!!!! Now he is 2.75 years old.....Finally does not BF at night...and we get his teeth brushed at least 3 times a DAY!!!!! This truly has been an ordeal and now DS is severly jealous of the new addition to the family having HIS boobies! we are going to do the little girl different i think....right as those new teeth come in I think we will have to limit the night feeding and start the tooth brushing regimen......whether or not the BFing has anything to do with his teeth problems we still dont know what to think....if teeth are comprimised i guess it will affect it....the dentinst seemed to hint that the BFing made his teeth soft, more susceptible to breakage..........we know for a fact if teeth are not brushed caries will develop with or without Bfing, especially all night feeding or maybe DS just has weak teeth?????????.................................... ..........
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

I had this problem with one of my ywins who are both been breastfed both the same and only one had the problems with cavities my dentist is lovely knows i have a good dental routine and they eat well i rad it is a lot to your preg, birth ie trauma in preg I had that one, Premature birth , i had that one as well, low birth weight, yes tht as well and bad dentaly routine no we are ok with that, i was told that it is more of a prblem feeding at night if the teeth have not been scrubbed before bed as it is the breast milk mixing with the food on teeth that is the problem, so if the teeth are cleaned well before bed should not be a problem. On our next visit 8 months later the twin who had terrible prblems was clear from anymore but the other twin had 2 small cavities there.
    louise

I just asked my LC about this because our ped told me I had to night wean my twins at a year or they would get cavities, said it was the same as bottles. My LC didn't agree, she said she doesn't know why the docs think it's the nursing that causes cavities, there's no medical basis for it. Some kids are more prone to them and some kids aren't. I hope they have my teeth, I've never had a cavity. If they have DH's we might have a problem. I've read the same thing as Louise, it's the other foods combined with breastmilk that are a problem, so we've decided to brush thoroughly before bed and leave it at that.