Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forced to stop

Default forced to stop

I HAVE to stop bf my 6 month old. How do I do that? He only got to nurse 3 times today (used Good Start) and now I have to stop tomorrow. Tomorrow my levels of this medicine will be higher (working up to 50mg Nortriptyline slowly) and I do not want to give him any, since I already take Ambien to sleep and occassional .5mg Lorazepam + 400 mg Ibuprofen three times a day + sometimes Tylenol Extra Strength, plus this Canasa suppository for colitis.

I have tried for over 6 months to find a remedy for my anxiety, aches and my pain (Costochondritis, headaches, numb, knots in every muscle) and nothing is working. I tried EVERYTHING (even acupuncture) and I'm broke and the damn physical therapist/occupational therapists can't see me for another week. My anxiety is out of control and it is hurting my family. I gave it my all and made it this far, and I know in my heart that I'm done. It's really hard for me since I bf my other boy for 12 months till he self-weaned. But I know I have to. I am happy that I made it this far and I promised myself to massage and extra cuddle my baby boy everyday to help him deal with the change.

But I don't know how to stop. Tomorrow I cannot bf at all, so I just don't know. I have a pump n style and think I should maybe pump and dump, but I just don't know how to do this. Pump every 5 hours and for only 3 minutes or something? I don't know?

Please give me some advice. I know it's not usual for LaLeche to tell people how to stop nursing, but I don't want to hurt my son with my stupid medicines that I really need to take. (I've been to 4 different medical facilities and 12 doctors- some big time dr.s and this is the only solution for me to heal up).

Thank you so much-

Default Re: forced to stop

i am so sorry that you are going through this. i do want to say that LLL does indeed help moms with weaning! i don't have any advice off hand, but did want to offer some kind words. i am sure someone will jump in here with more advice!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Lots of hugs! This sounds like it's been a very hard decision for you.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html this is a good resource for weaning techniques.
    You will want to pump to relieve engorgement, to take the edge off but not draining the breast because you are trying to discourage milk production. So this might mean tomorrow that you pump when you normally would have nursed him, but stop short of draining the breast. Take your time with this, gradually increasing the amount of time between pumping and gradually decreasing the amount of time you pump. By doing it slowly your letting your hormones slowly change, a sudden weaning can be a shock to the system. Also you could be at risk for plugged ducts and/or mastitis.
    I understand that the drugs you are taking are necessary for you and that they may have an unknown effect, but concern you enough to stop. Give yourself a big pat on the back for 6 months, I'm sure it has taken a lot to get to this point!

Good Luck
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Hi mama,
    I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.
    There is a fallacy that La Leche League withholds weaning information and wants everyone to nurse their children until they are 5 or 6. The good news is that this just isn't true. We support mothers from all walks of life; in all life's up and downs. It sounds like you may be in one of those low parts of life yourself right now.

Before I start on some ideas for weaning I am wondering if you have any support to help with this weaning process? Someone to walk baby around for you, and take some of the pressure off you... It will help. Weaning abruptly can be very hard for a baby, and also mama. 6 months is still pretty young to wean, but I see your necessity.

My thoughts on some things that might help are avoiding putting baby into the cradle position which will cue baby to nursing. Have someone else feed the baby, and do lots of shoulder and upright carrying and contact. There is little you can do if baby starts crying besides walking and physical contact. By doing without sleep for a few nights you will reassure your baby that you are still emotionally present and bonded. I will post with any other ideas I might have on this subject.

Some reading I have done suggested that in some mothers, the release of Oxytocin during the Milk Ejection Reflex caused anxiety like symptoms. In most women it resolved itself, but in all situations there may always be the mother who has an experience that stands out. It may be that some of your anxiety is stemming from the hormones present during breast feeding.

Thank you- my right breast seems to be giving up (it was never the favorite and less of a producer) but my left breast is sore and painful. I just pumped to relieve pressure an hour ago, and it is so sore. I am saving my milk incase the pediatrician says it's ok, since I"m still on 10mg- which is 65mg less than what the Mother's Milk book tested this on. I just know I need to go up fast on my med, and my husband is home to help with bottels. I actually saved frozen milk for doing bottles myself tomorrow.

But I am pumping less and less and saving the milk in the fridge in case it ends up that I can give it to him. I'm not sure though since my mouth is so dry, which is side effect of med, so there is some in my system then.

I think my anxiety is the same thing every winter- I have SAD pretty bad. (Seasonal Affective Disorder). But I did get nauseaus while nursing every time with this baby- my LL friend said she'd never heard of that, but it could be from the hormones. I just dealt with the nausea, and it went away sometimes, I guess.

Tomorrow I'll see what my Pediatrician says, but the other ped. said "no" to Nortriptyline- and he was a new dr. who is pro-nursing since he has small children at home and a nursing wife. But I heard from 2 sources that Nortriptyline is L2 only- it just scares me since the half-life is 18-90 hours or something like that, and I don't want to risk anything that will alter my 6mo. son's brain chemistry. The pharmacist said it seems safer than Lorazepam and the pediatrician ok'd that since I am on such a low dose and they use that on children before surgery to relax them. But my goal is to get off the Benzo's for anxiety and sleep, and the new med. works for both.

Thank you for your supports If anyone thinks I'm in trouble with my left breast hurting, please tell me. I just don't know- it was such a big producer of milk and both my boys favored it. I tried an ice pack. Owey- maybe I didn't pump enough- IDK.

Nebula -still
    Last edited by Nebula77; February 10th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.

I know this is a little out of left field and you mention a history of SAD related anxiety so your condition could be an extension of that but, have you ever been tested for Lyme Disease? I don't know where you live or if it's even a possibility, but every single one of your symptoms is possible with Lyme Disease.

Just a thought and I'm sorry your having to go through this.

Try the cabbage leaves cure!
    And I agree, pump just enough to help you feel better!!
    Here in sweden they reccommend warm for breast issues instead of cold (I think it has something to do with whatever climate you live in!) so if cold doesn't work, try warm.

Relax, you've done GREAT! Given your child a fantastic start in life and YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.

Is your breast sore all over or in a particular location? Massaging your breast before pumping and doing compressions while pumping can help to drain more milk (which is what you would want to do if you have a plugged duct.)

All of the PP have great idea's

Here is a link to more info on herbs and cabbage leaves to decrease supply -
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...versupply.html
    although if you want to just keep pumping the left side just in case you can use it keep pumping enough to keep it comfortable.

Lots of massage on the left breast to get the milk out. Cold is usually to decrease the swelling, and then warm is used to assist the milk coming out. You can use both off and on when you need it.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I talked it over with the pediatrician after 3 different lactation nurses said it's ok to bf on Nortriptyline. (My motherly instincts were going off on that one since Nortrip. has an 18-90 hour half-life, the side effects are heart issues in the mom, and the effects on the nursing baby are "unknown"). So the pediatrician decided that I shouldn't, but then I remembered the LL reading on the mom who nursed less often. I then asked if she thought it would be ok if I only nursed him once a night before bedtime. She agreed on that- but now I'm second guessing it. The reason is that I am a HUGE milk producer, and noticed he is still getting A LOT of milk in that one nightly feeding.

I think it makes sense to wait till my breasts are producing less to let him nurse at night? I don't know- they seem to be down a lot since I only pump 2 ounces 3 x's a day-with lots of crying- hormone crash or something.

At least my husband is home for a 4-day weekend so it's good to have him to rely on right now. And I have some horrible virus/cold thing with a fever that started yesterday (my birthday of all days), so it's a rough time right now. I cried through every box of Kleenex in the house and we got a foot of snow today so couldn't get more Kleenex. Ugh-

But maybe he can still nurse once my milk is less? I don't know- I just don't think it's ok right now with so many meds in my system- at least my boy is happy and seems to like bubbas- not as much as Tata's though! It just breaks my heart when he's tired and he sticks up his pinky finger (both my boys did this when they wanted to nurse!) and nuzzles his head in my chest.

Thanks for your replies