Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried DS will wean overnight!

Default Worried DS will wean overnight!

My mom is going to take DS for the night to give us a "break". I only have about 8 oz of BM to send with him. In reality he should only nurse 1 or 2 times in the period he'll be away (we're working on night weaning as it is right now). I'm going to nurse him and then pump again before I leave her house so he *might* have a little more BM for his before bed and morning nursings and we'll be picking him up around Noon. Am I stupid for worrying that he'll wean in that time period? DH thinks I'm "R-tarded" for worrying so much, aside from the fact that DS has NEVER been away from me overnight, except the night he was born and in the NICU when I couldn't sleep down there yet. I do plan on pumping before bed when DS would nurse and first thing in the AM. Someone tell me it's going to be alright?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Worried DS will wean overnight!

I bet he will sleep all night.... They have a funny way of doing that when mom
    isn't around.

you'll do fine
    he'll do fine!

and if not you can always go and get him right!

It's a big step for a nursing toddler to spend a night away from momma for the first time! I understand your concerns.

Many mothers have found that they can leave an older baby (12 months or older, perhaps?) for an overnight with no long-term disruption to their breastfeeding relationship. If you arrange the separation with sensitivity to your son's needs and take care to protect your milk supply while you are apart to avoid engorgement, chances are he will pick up nursing happily as soon as you are reunited -- especially if he is still going strong with breastfeeding in general, not showing signs of imminent weaning etc.

I think if you feel ready for this experiment and feel your son is ready, then all will very likely turn out fine. You are the expert on your baby, so follow your gut regarding separations as he is growing older.

I'd be worried, if you weren't worried IYKWIM. Enjoy your break mama, you deserve it!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

i think he'll be fine! enjoy some you and dh time!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Thanks mamas!! I talked to my mom about an hour ago and she said he ate dinner, went potty, drank half his BM and PASSED OUT. I had a breakdown when we got home...I mean I lost it, so DH took me for retail therapy

~Meg~
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Glad to hear everything went smooth!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

We're going to pick him up after breakfast today. My mom called me at 7 (and woke me up for a change I was asleep ) to tell me he only woke up once at 4 am, which was the same time I woke up, took a drink of water and went back to sleep for 3 more hours. Now why on earth can't he do that at home??

~Meg~

see the stinker..!
    the 1st time I left my phillip he was 2 and it was to go to the hospital to have little sis...
    He was great for daddy...

I left mine for the first time when she was 2 1/2, was gone for 2 1/2 nights, she started nursing again the second I came home...