Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO is past 6mos & still EBF... should we start solids?

Default LO is past 6mos & still EBF... should we start solids?

Our DD turned 6mos last Feb 5th, her pediatrician suggested we start her on cereals. However, I am not convinced that she should start solids at this stage...

Why? Because ever since birth (7lbs1oz), she's been exclusively breastfed. She grows at a fast and steady rate every month, (3-4lbs a month!) except last month when she LOST a pound. (She was 25lbs at 5mos, but now 24lbs... I know, she's heavy!). I am confident that my BM alone is enough to sustain her needs as of the moment.

She shows an interest when me or her caregiver eat, but that's about the only outward sign that she's ready for solids. She can sit when she's propped up or supported by pillows, and she hasn't lost the tongue thrust reflex. What's more, she's been feeding less frequently, which makes me think that she doesn't need MORE than my BM... Am I right to think this way and "disobey" the pediatrician, or should we try to feed DD solids already?

Default Re: LO is past 6mos & still EBF... should we start solids?

Trust your instincts mama. YOu don;t have to start at 6 months. MY 8 month old is almost exclusively breastfed.. she has spittin up issues with solids so I don't make any special food for her just give her bits of our food when she demends it. Babies can do fine on just breastmilk for sure up to 1 year and probably up to 2 years old. BY 9 months old I would start offering it at least and if she doesn't want any fine but at least you are offerieng

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

There is no reason to hurry, my lo is 9 mths and only have a small meal each day. She gets plenty of breastmilk and is a big girl, not as large as your baby though, WOW! It sounds like you are doing jsut fine, only you know what is best for your baby.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

you know your baby best
    heres a few links
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-links.html

have you read about baby lead solids?
    WEre you skip the spoon and mashed and go to table foods that they self feed?

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

thanks keira's mom, abaker & andrea! i feel so much better now.
    Especially after reading the links you posted, andrea!

I'm quite interested in the BLS approach, but am hesitant too, since I'm concerned baby will choke...

I will try to feed her solids in a few weeks, coz i'm not sure if she can self regulate now. Sometimes she feeds too much and throws up after a feeding! Talk about excess milk lol

I donate my excess milk to a friend who also recently had a baby

The one thing to watch out for is the amount of iron that your baby will need if you don't start solids. Breastfed babies depend on the stores of iron they built up while in the womb. Around 6mos, these stores start to look pretty depleted. Maybe talk to your pedi about your alternatives.

Smile Re: LO is past 6mos & still EBF... should we start solids?

thanks

i was going to ask if i'm depriving my dd of nutrients if i don't start her on solids... i was reading the other tooic on starting rice cereal, and it made me feel better ebf'ing my lo. i plan to continue for as long as i can!

last week we tried rice cereal, but she doesn't "eat" more than half a teaspoon a day. looks like she's still satisfied with just having milk all the time

kandylee, I did the BLS with my two youngest children. My 18 mo was the only one who didn't start on their own at 6 months. She mostly played with her food. She has gagged on some food, but has also coughed it up on her own. Only rarely have I had to sweep her mouth with my finger. Go with your mama instincts on this one. They're almost always right.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Actually, baby can live on BM alone for at least a year and even if solid food is introduced, it's for fun and exploration NOT nutrition. Rather than worry about iron reserves the best thing you can do as a breastfeeding mother is EAT plenty of iron rich foods.
    Other signs that you should be watching for as far as readiness for solids is being able to sit unassisted(that one is pretty important) and the development of the pincer grasp. Both of these things are needed to do the Baby Led way for sure!
    This approach is actually the perfect compliment to breast milk because the child actually DOES self regulate when breastfeeding. So it allows them to continue to control their food intake. I did child led with my son completely and while the fear of choking is a legitimate one, it is important to understand that gagging and choking are NOT the same thing. Gagging and the tongue thrust are both built in natural defenses AGAINST choking. Gagging is a normal part of the learning process in eating solid foods. Choking is where the airway actually gets blocked and be avoided completely and not thought about if you cut all solids into "French Fry" size pieces before giving to baby. This way they either will come back out or get swallowed because they aren't actually large enough to block the airway. The principal of Baby led says that if the child can get food to their own mouth, they can be trusted to deal with it. Either by pushing back out if they aren't ready after exploring or swallowing. From the time that my son actually put a piece of food into his own mouth and when he actually SWALLOWED anything there was a about a two months gap. Which makes me think that often children who are getting spoon fed are actually ingesting food before they are ready. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I did child led with my son completely and while the fear of choking is a legitimate one, it is important to understand that gagging and choking are NOT the same thing. Gagging and the tongue thrust are both built in natural defenses AGAINST choking. Gagging is a normal part of the learning process in eating solid foods.
    Yes! This is exactly how it worked with my daughter. She always coughed it up if she gagged on it. I know it sounds scary, but once she gagged on a piece of food and it made her throw up (she was over 12 months old at the time). But it's important to know that this is how the body naturally protects against choking. And you start with softer foods like pieces of banana or avocado to help them learn to eat.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi