Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ameda vs. Medela Pumps

Default Re: Ameda vs. Medela Pumps

I use the Ameda Purely Yours, and it works great & cleans easily. Haven't used the Medela PIS, but I know it's highly rec'd. For me, it came down to cost, my Ameda was $100 less and all the feedback I saw on it was positive. Good luck in your decision!

I also use the lansinoh pump. My LC recommended it! She said that it is the exact same as the purely yours only cheaper. The only thing is that it doesnt come with a carrying case, so i just use the diaper bag that they gave me in the hospital and it works great!

One reason that made me get the Medela Advanced Pump In Style is that the Medela parts are made of polypropylene while the Ameda uses polycarbonate, which can leach bisphenol-a, a hormone disruptor.

I have an Ameda PY. It's about half the price of the medela PIS, is a closes system and mine is actually on it's 4th child......I am all about the Ameda PY!!!

Way too lazy for formula

I would say it depends on what you need it for. If you need to pump for work, medela PIS advanced will save you some time. It'll takes me about 5-10 min less to empty out both breasts, which is important for work. My friends all recommend it as well, and say it's worth the extra money. It's not that much more expensive. I bought mine online for $210. It's probably the next best thing to hospital grade pumps.

On the other hand if you're not going to pump for work, and just need a pump, then it's not a big deal to spend five minutes more, so you might want to save your money.

I have the Ameda and love it. I have been pumping 5 days a week for about 6.5 months and have had no problems. Before I bought mine I considered buying one from Ebay but wasn't sure about hygiene. Now that I have the Ameda I see that as long as I bought the actual parts that touch my skin or milk separate, I could easily have used a previously owned Ameda PY since the motor never comes in contact with any of it. That probably didn't make sense. I suppose I'm just another singing the praises of the Ameda - it came down to price and I don't regret going with the PY.
    Married to DH in 2006

New mama to Logan 6/15

We are figuring this baby thing out day by day!

Talking about saving time for work I am so excited I got my P/Y.... it gets 6-8oz in about 5min .... This pump is so efective and confortable.... I did lots of research before purchasing a pump cause didnt want to waste my money... mine costed me $150 and I use the breastfeeding bag I got from the hospital... I didnt like Medela cause like all you know is well advertise but the fact that milk can get in to the motor then contaminate the entire system scares me.... also P/Y its the only pump aprove by the FDA most be cause of the efficiency and close system.... Also AMEDA its the original breast pump.... HHMMM I am so happy with this pump I recomend it to all my friends... I pump every day min 8x and for months no problem

I have the Medela PISA and LOVE it..I pretty much exlusively pump now since going back to work and DD prefers bottles....it is very efficient ~10 min. to empty both breasts. It gets the job sone well. $240 and Babies R Us w/ coupons. I, too, was wary about buying on EBAY but think it would be o.k. b/c you purchae the parts that are in contact w/ milk.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

If you need some good advice on buying a pump, check out the article Consumer Reports wrote:

http://consumerreports.org/cro/babie...pping-tips.htm

i was debating between those two until i discovered the Hygeia EnJoye. LOVE it. It's the only pump licensed by the FDA for multiple users-which means you can legally sell or donate it when you ar edone.
    It is made by someone who used to work for Medela.
    Good pump, easy to clean and the only "green" pump available
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces