Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ameda vs. Medela Pumps

Default Ameda vs. Medela Pumps

I'm trying to decide between the Ameda Purely Yours vs. the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. Any opinions for or against either model?

Default Re: Ameda vs. Medela Pumps

You know, I bought a Lansinoh dual electric breast pump.... and I it! It is about $150.00 cheaper than the Medela. I was looking at both of these pumps (The Medela & the Ameda ..) when I purchased mine. I finally called a lactation consultant at the hospital, and she had rec the Lansinoh one. I had used the hospital grade Medela when in the hospital when I delivered dd. I had heard good things about both of these... but if you are looking to spend a little less, and still get a decent quality pump... I am totally happy with my Lansinoh one.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

I have BOTH right in front of me this very moment! I usually pump as I read this site, I'm pumping with the Ameda right now

I bought the Medela (Mini Electric) when my LO was 2 weeks old. I loved it, still do. I was using it to give my poor nipples a break, I had major bruising/cracks/bleeding etc from a rough start to breastfeeding. The Medela is easy to use, easy to clean and I never had an issue with it.

Now 4 months in, I am having supply issues so I rented the Ameda Elite. It is so powerful my husband & I call it the 'Industrial Strength Boob Juicer'! And its big, it looks like I have a generator sitting on the table... But it works amazingly, and has really helped me increase my supply.

I am not familiar with the styles you mentioned, but both brands are very well known.

Happy pumping!

The Lansinoh pump is manufactured by Ameda. It is exactly the same as the Purely Yours except it is prettier and cheaper (It's purple). If I wasnt renting, that's definitely what I would buy.

I had a Purely Yours with my first baby. The motor conked out after 18 months of heavy use so I can't use it for this baby. It was a great pump. And I liked the idea that it is a closed system. Milk can not back up into the motor. There isn't a barrier that prevents this in the Pump-in-Style. I also like the valve of the PY better than the membrane in the PIS. On the Medela flanges, I keep breaking the yellow thing that the membrane attaches to when I am washing them. I find them hard to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2theBooBoo View Post
    You know, I bought a Lansinoh dual electric breast pump.... and I it! It is about $150.00 cheaper than the Medela. I was looking at both of these pumps (The Medela & the Ameda ..) when I purchased mine. I finally called a lactation consultant at the hospital, and she had rec the Lansinoh one. I had used the hospital grade Medela when in the hospital when I delivered dd. I had heard good things about both of these... but if you are looking to spend a little less, and still get a decent quality pump... I am totally happy with my Lansinoh one.

I have an Ameda Purely Yours, and I love it. I had another (same kind) and the motor went out a few months ago; I called Ameda and they FedExed me a new one overnight, no questions asked. I've heard Medela's customer service is really good too.

I have a Medela Pump in Style. It was a gift, so I can't speak about cost, but it is an excellent pump. I had to pump and syringe feed my little boy due to latch issues for the first week and a half. The Medela was really a life saver. I will be using it again when I go back to work in a few weeks. Whichever one you choose, I was very glad I had a pump on hand when I brought my son home. I wasn't expecting to have to use it before I went back to work, but it enabled me to give him the benefits of breast milk while we worked out our issues.

I have the Ameda Purely Yours and all of my friends have the Medela PIS. I researched both brands. Finally, one day when we were at Baby Depot, I noticed a brand new Ameda PY pump in the clearance section for $100!!! Medela puts a clause in their contracts (according to my hospital's LC) that prohibits a seller from selling the Ameda pumps. My LC said both are excellent pumps and a large part of it is advertising and geographic location. We're in central IL and Medela is everywhere here. She said in Chicago you'll see more Ameda pumps.

I do like the pump. It's easy to use and it's getting the job done. The only complaint I have is that it's a little noisy. It has a beep that can get annoying, but I stop paying attention to it after a minute or two. It's very easy to clean and I chose it because it's a closed system. If anyone knows how to get rid of the beep, that would be great. I think it's just the way it's made.

I heard that both companies have excellent customer service. I haven't needed to use it yet.

Good luck in choosing. I found Medela PIS basic pumps for $200 online and the advanced with metro bag or other choices for $250. I just did my research.

A lot of people on other boards told me that their insurance paid a portion/all of it. We have GEHA and although they pay excellent maternity benefits, they did not cover a breast pump unless we had a medical necessity. Fortunately, we didn't.

Thank you all for the great information. I'm still making up my mind and I really appreciate all your input!

I've been using the Medela PISA (backpack) 3x's a day at work since Oct and really, really like it. Easy to use, easy to clean, and because I tote a laptop bag to/from work, I like being able to put the backpack on while carrying my laptop bag...can't see having to put both a laptop bag and a messenger style pump bag on my shoulder.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I am using the lansinoh version of the ameda and like it. I got mine from amazon for 125.00 and free shipping. I use the breastfeeding bag the hospital/formula company gave me for a carrying tote.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Doubl...2222375&sr=1-2
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!