Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying at the breast

Unhappy Crying at the breast

I've heard that sometimes the food you eat can affect the baby. How will I know if I have eaten something that does not suit her.
    Today she has fed for 10 - 15 minutes and then started crying at the breast. She still keeps trying to latch on then cries and drops it again. Normally when she is full she just drops off.
    Any thoughts on why she is suddenly crying?
    Could I have eaten something that doesn't suit her?
    How long does it take for the food I've eaten to get into the breast milk?

Default Re: Crying at the breast

the best thing to do is to keep a food diary of what you are eating and how she is behaving. offensive foods include dairy, onions, caffeine, alchol.. it usually affects them within 2 to 4 hrs

There are lots of reasons for crying/fussing while nursing that have nothing to do with diet. Sometimes it happens if the milk is coming too fast, or sometimes if it is too slow.

Read this article for more info and how to solve the problem:
    My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

Hope this helps!

That article was really helpful thank you. I was really worried that something I ate might be affecting her and was about to throw away the 10oz I pumped last night! But I will keep it and try her again.

My only other concern is that she is spitting up a little (after the last 3 feeds) and I thought a baby couldn't over feed ont eh breast so that's a little worrying. I've been trying to burp her well but not getting anything out.