Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positioning/Cost of Lactation Consultant?

Default Positioning/Cost of Lactation Consultant?

My 7-week-old seems to be growing so quickly. Now when I nurse her, her legs dangle down and she uses them as leverage to push her body out of position! Any tips for dealing with this?

Also, the breastfeeding clinic we've been to 3 times (offered through our hospital) won't see me now that my LO is older than 6 weeks. I'd like to see a lactation consultant but how much does that generally cost? Just want to know before I call one so I don't have sticker shock! I'd love to go to a LLL meeting but the next one in my area isn't for a couple of weeks and I'd like to resolve this sooner than that.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Positioning/Cost of Lactation Consultant?

DD is a kicker too...and at 9 months its more thud-kick-push-prop on my arm ...My trick is I lay her pretty much tummy to my tummy with her head in the crook of my arm, her mouth in position etc, and I wrap her legs around my side and gently hold them there with my arm and hold the rest of her with my hand on her toosh....Just wait till she can reach your hair while she's kicking
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

I think the LCs at our hospital charge about $50 for the consultation. Here's an idea on positioning. It's called Biological Nurturing...I didn't know that until recently, although we've been doing it since DD was about 8 weeks old and a nurse (LC) suggested it. It's just so comfy!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I think the LCs at our hospital charge about $50 for the consultation. Here's an idea on positioning. It's called Biological Nurturing...I didn't know that until recently, although we've been doing it since DD was about 8 weeks old and a nurse (LC) suggested it. It's just so comfy!!
    We'll have to try that - it seems much more relaxing than the forceful push to get her to latch on! (In turn causing her to clamp down as hard as she can.) So did your baby just latch on by herself at 8 weeks when you tried this?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Quote Originally Posted by oncall24-7 View Post
    DD is a kicker too...and at 9 months its more thud-kick-push-prop on my arm ...My trick is I lay her pretty much tummy to my tummy with her head in the crook of my arm, her mouth in position etc, and I wrap her legs around my side and gently hold them there with my arm and hold the rest of her with my hand on her toosh....Just wait till she can reach your hair while she's kicking
    Unfortunately she's already figured that one out, too! I should have figured - she was VERY active in the womb as well!

Thanks for the tip - I'll try wrapping her legs around more.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Will she nurse swaddled, maybe leaving her arms out? I dunno if that would help...just throwing it out there.

You can call and talk to your local leader by phone, sometimes by e-mail, or by meeting with them if they have some free time. I would try there first before dropping money on an LC, if you do have access to talking with a leader.
    http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

The LC from the hospital I delivered at would be $50/one hour session... they are awesome though and I've been able to call three times and have never been charged for phone consultations. I believe LLL LCs are free

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMom View Post
    My 7-week-old seems to be growing so quickly. Now when I nurse her, her legs dangle down and she uses them as leverage to push her body out of position! Any tips for dealing with this?
    Can you tell us what position you're nursing in when this happens? Where are your hands? Where is her head in relation to your arm on the side that you're nursing on?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    You can call and talk to your local leader by phone, sometimes by e-mail, or by meeting with them if they have some free time.
    http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

do you use a pilliow to support her body?
    Sometimes that helps.