Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BF Adopted Baby?

Default Re: BF Adopted Baby?

I haven't induced lactation, but I am trying to relactate from a very small amount. With hard work and determination I'm certain you can at least give your baby some milk, and that is so very important. Some moms have gone all the way to a full supply, but it's not easy. It can be done, and no you probably won't meet any resistance from most women here on these boards. We are pro-breastfeeding and will be here to support you through your journey.

What I suggest is renting a hospital grade pump like the Medela Symphony, pumping at least 10 times for 10 - 15 minutes per session a day to start (combining that with hand expression to maximize milk output) and drinking a lot of water. Pump at least every two hours during the day and every 3 - 4 hours at night.
    You can also do something called "power pumping" which is pumping for 10 minutes, then turning off the machine, then pumping again for 10 minutes, turning the machine off, etc etc...This is to mimic a baby's natural nursing pattern during a growth spurt. It's known as cluster feeding.
    Some mothers have found that taking supplements such as fenugreek, goat's rue and even some prescription drugs can help give their supply a boost.
    I think the SNS (supplemental nursing system) is a WONDERFUL idea to help you get breast stimulation and give baby the expressed milk you produce during your wait, and all the while you are building up supply.
    If you have to supplement with formula, it's not the end of the world. Breast milk is of course the best thing, even if the baby is not biologically your own, but don't let anyone tell you you are a bad mommy if you must supplement.

Best of luck and congratulations on your selfless decision to adopt. I am sure you will be a wonderful parent.

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you want to do this for your future child! I really hope it works out for you and I'm sure you'll be able to touch other adopting mothers and plant that seed with them as well. Good luck! I can't wait to hear what happens
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

I am so excited to see this thread! I have one son who was adopted, and then I got pregnant. I am still nursing my younger son who is 9 months. I have no desire to give birth again, but definately want more kids. So, I am going to nurse for as long as M wants to and then pump as much as I can until we adopt again! Lofty goal, I know, since it will probably be several years before we can adopt again.
    I would love to hear about your adoption! Domestic? International? Sooo curious and so nice to see another AMama here!

Thanks for everyone's support, it's really awesome. Ahex, I followed your other post, you go girl! Keep up the hard work! You all are inspiring me!

T&M-Hi!!! It's so exciting to have another hopeful adoptive mommy out there! Will you adopt domestically or international again? My dh and I just got married, and it's been a whirlwind of medical issues for me, partial hysterectomy, then back into surgery to remove the ovaries, etc. so we are taking a much needed break to enjoy marriage right now. Although, "enjoying marriage" is turning out to be my researching adoption and adoptive bf while he plays playstation! lol, just gotta love men. Anyway, we're going to adopt next year, I already have the attorney all picked out that we will go through. She is located in Florida (we're in Michigan). The laws in MI aren't great for adoption (on the aparents side), so we're heading south for a baby! TPR is signed after 48 hours in FL! What state do you live in? I can't wait! In the meantime, here I am. I can't wait to breastfeed! I don't want to use an SNS (unless I have to) so I'm really hoping to get a full supply, I know it will be tons of hard work, but it would be a dream come true. Relacatingforthelord has been so awesome about answering my millions of questions, you rock! I'm glad we're not starting the process yet though, because I just had the ovaries removed, so the menopausal symptoms are really intense, I don't know if I could handle attempting to induce lactation right now. I'm doing all my bf research and adoption research while we wait to get started. Have you read the LLL book about adoptive breastfeeding? I enojyed it!

Good for you!!

I have a good friend who adopted a baby about 7 years ago now. She didn't have as much information as you have to get started, and she, too had a hard time with the idea of inducing lactation without knowing exactly when she would get her baby. She only nursed for 6 weeks, but she said it was worth it. I'm sure you'll do better! She said she wishes she had started earlier. She thinks she would have been more successful if she had.

What an amazing gift to give to your little one!

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfirefly View Post
    What state do you live in?
    Michigan also! We are in Portage!!! You?

We will probably go back to Nicaragua to adopt. I am trying to weasel my way into a trip there, with a glance at T's orphanage as a main focus. I just don't want to fall in love with a girl baby when I know that we are still paying off T's adoption. But, I don't want too much time to fall in between when M stops nursing and we get a baby. The less time I have to pump, the better!!!!

Near the Kalamazoo area? We live in St. Clair Shores, basically in the metro Detroit area. We're not too far from eachother, 2 or 3 hours maybe I think. Who did you use for your adoption? Basically T was 1 year old when you adopted him? I really, really want an infant, which is the only reason we ruled out international. I want that stage when they have the adorably tiny toes and smell really good. Do you have 2 boys now, is that why you're thinking a girl to adopt? How long does the process take in Nicaragua? You better get moving if you're hoping not to pump for too long, or just let M nurse for a really long time! I hadn't heard of Nicaragua as being a popular place to adopt, is it a pretty smooth process there?

Congratulations!! We are also in the adoption process. Aren't the timeframes and the unknowns hard to deal with??? We are in the African American/ Biracial program, so our wait time is not going to be as long, hopefully.

I also am excited about adoptive nursing. I would suggest going to your family physician and picking his or her brain, be prepared though for them to look at you crazy. (As some people do me, especially since I am caucasion and baby will not be) Then, contact your la leche leauge in your area.

I am buying a SNS to help with milk suppy once the baby comes. I also am starting on the ask lenore protocol now with the help and guidance from my physician. I do not plan to start the pumping protocol until there we have been choosen by a birthmother.

As far as nipple confusion, do not let that stress you out. I also am mom to 3 bio children that I bf all. Each of my kids had a bottle at some point in the first few days, plus they each used pacifiers from day one. With each of them there was never any type of confusion. I know that some of you may disagree with me. But, I think nipple confusion creates way too much of a fuss for first time already nervous moms.

I also am reading a great book right now, which I recommend "Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew" The author touches on bonding and grieving issues that newborns may have and highly suggests breastfeeding as a great way to for your baby to attach. In your wait time, get this book, it is great.

PM me if you want, Congrats again!

CMdaughter- That is a great book! I have read it, and it's awesome! There are so many great adoption books and so many of them encourage skin to skin contact even if you aren't going to bf, for bonding.

Congrats on your soon-to-be adoption! What state are you in?

It seems like mostly everyone who bf adoptive babies get some type of SNS system. I really want a full milk supply, is this an unrealistic expectation? Without a doubt, as an adoptive mommy (one day), wanting a full milk supply is somewhat selfishly motivated. I want my baby to have breastmilk, that's the #1 priority. But, it would be really nice to see my body work the way it's supposed to, as infertility makes you see all the ways your body doesn't work "right". Also, so many people are opposed to adoptive breastfeeding (even in the adoption community), that I really want to be able to nurse "normally" without a SNS, so I don't have to hear that it's not "natural" to bf my adoptive baby and if it was "natural" I wouldn't have to use a SNS. I don't want to get flamed by everyone using an SNS, it's a wonderful system and I will use it if I have to, but I think like most people I wouldn't be my first choice. Also, I've talked to my GYN about bf. He was very sweet about it, he said he doesn't have experience in it, but he's willing to learn. When we get closer, I will bring him the literature on the protocol and talk to him more.

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfirefly View Post
    Near the Kalamazoo area? We live in St. Clair Shores, basically in the metro Detroit area. We're not too far from eachother, 2 or 3 hours maybe I think. Who did you use for your adoption? Basically T was 1 year old when you adopted him? I really, really want an infant, which is the only reason we ruled out international. I want that stage when they have the adorably tiny toes and smell really good. Do you have 2 boys now, is that why you're thinking a girl to adopt? How long does the process take in Nicaragua? You better get moving if you're hoping not to pump for too long, or just let M nurse for a really long time! I hadn't heard of Nicaragua as being a popular place to adopt, is it a pretty smooth process there?
    We go to your side of the state quite often, as my whole family lives there. We were just in last weekend, actually! We were in New Baltimore, Clinton Twp, and went to see Elmo at the Fox downtown! It was a busy weekend!!!
    We actually did an independent adoption!!!! I know, crazy. Nica does not recognize any agencies, and our son kind of came to us, so we had no other choice. My sister was working in a clinic there when he was brought in at 6 weeks old. He was with a social worker and the social worker, knowing that it was run by Americans, asked if anyone knew anyone who wanted to adopt. She called us, and the rest was history! It took about a year from start to finish. I had no idea about ABF, so I really didn't look into it at all. I was in Nica with him for 3 months. Then we got preggo 6 weeks after getting home!! Total shocker, as my GYN said it could never happen.
    I don't know how long we will wait to adopt again. We still owe some on T's adoption, but it should be paid off this tax season. We had to spread the credit out over 2 years. I think we may even have some left for next year. The wait time for Nica has increased, since Guatemala is closed now and many parents are going to Nica. Last I heard, it was about 1.5 years for a baby. I don't know if it would be any less since we have already been through the process. I am planning on nursing M for as long as he wants, so I hope to only have to pump for a year or so. But, I think that would get old really quickly.
    What agency are you going with? Adoption Associates did our homestudy, but I don't know much about their programs. Are you pretty flexible in your requirements? I know wait time is much less if you are open to many different options.

cmdaughter - congrats and good luck!!!