Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BF Adopted Baby?

Default Re: BF Adopted Baby?

Congratulations and welcome to LLL!!! What an awesome experience this will be for you. I have heard of it being done before. Never done it myself (induced lactation) but i'm sure there are some mamas here who have. and for you! You're making the best decision of that baby's life!

I have read that sometimes adoptive moms that have never nursed a baby before may not be able to provide 100% breastmilk for their babies. You sound so eager, I encourage you to "count on" exclusive breastfeeding (after the wait period, of course). But, you could also read up on supplemental nursing system (SNS) that allows the bonding/stimulation at the breast.

Good luck! I'd love to hear your success story in a few months.

I work with a woman whose adoptive daughter is 20 years old now. She induced lactation and nursed her DD when as an infant until she was 17 mos! I believe she used the SNS. She fed donated breastmilk instead of formula and after time, they determined baby was getting about 1/3 of her milk form her. Good luck!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by melsod View Post
    I think you'll find that rather than being "horrified", a lot of us are really excited/interested to hear about someone embarking on such a journey, and might even pester you for updates if you stick around here long enough. I don't know much about induced lactation myself, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can give you good advice. There a whole area of the board dedicated to it, actually. Though it sounds like you know a lot already. I can just offer support and good luck!

Someone probably already mentioned the forum on this site for inducing lactation and relactation. I truly hope it works out for you and I don't think you'll hear anything but encouragement here. Please let us know how things go

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thank you to everyone for all the support! Even in the adoptive community, this is "taboo" for some, so it's really wonderful to know I have such great support here. I will definately keep updating everyone, although, we're not planning on starting the adoption process until next year, so it will be a while until I have updates. Until then, I'm looking forward to learning through all your bf experiences! Thanks!

Here is a link you might find useful.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

It is also never too early to contact your local LLL leader and inquire on this topic as well as possibly attending meetings. Good luck! and
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Hopeful... I APPLAUD you first, for adopting!!! YEAH!!! We have 3 adopted children.. it is the best. You will bond right away, as if you gave birth... it is amazing.

One of our children was an infant when we adopted her, and we only had 4 weeks notice, and I didn't even realize I could somehow produce milk and actual feed her myself. I was heartbroken over not being able to nurse her, so I encourage you greatly to stick with what YOU WANT, and make it happen!!!

Can't wait to hear the "rest of the story"

Oh.. and feel free to PM me, if you have any questions about adopting an infant. It is one of my favorite topics to discuss!!!

and we look forward to hearing about your success
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Moving this thread to Relactation and Adoptive Nursing
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!