Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BF Adopted Baby?

Default Re: BF Adopted Baby?

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL! I just started a thread asking about breastfeeding our next child via adoption and then I saw this. lol

I am so excited for you and wish the best of everything! Hubby and I are REALLY hoping to adopt within the next year or two. I am nursing my 22 month old at the moment and am hoping to be able to nurse my new baby as well. We have not told very many people that we are planning to adopt and even fewer that we want to nurse our new baby. I look to the internet when I need to support or to vent a little, are the people in your "real" life supportive?
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Mommyto3-Congrats to you as well! Are you thinking domestic or international?

Will continue to bf and/or pump before your baby arrives or are you planning to stop and then relactate?

Well, I can tell you that almost everyone we know is supportive in our adoption plan, but people still say stupid things. I've found myself not wanting to discuss my adoption plans (or bf plans) with too many people, because I'm not interested in hearing their opinion. That probably sounds rude (and for everyone reading this that has not adopted, just imagine the amount of parental advice you got with your first baby-and multiply it by 100 when you adopt!). I still get the infamous question, "Can she (the birthmom) come and take the baby back?" It's amazing the stereotypes that still exist about adoption today! I've found amazing support on the internet, the forums at www.adoption.com is simply amazing, as are some Yahoo groups. You can PM me if you want more info.

As for plans to bf, I have not found a single supportive person in the "real" world (aside from my dh, who thinks it's amazing). Even in the adoption community, people have said that it's "repulsive" and "not natural". I was even concerned when I posted this thread that LLL people would find adoptive bf unfavorable. I'm so glad they don't! The kellymom website is great too! People in my immediate circle realize they aren't going to change my mind about bf, so they've stopped giving me their opinion. I'm sure it's like many decisions that we as (potential) parents make, not everyone is going to agree with it but it's not their call. Truly, it's amazing how people think that they should offer their advice about adoption, bf, or any other intimately personal decision that we make within our hearts.

My husband had open heart surgery in 2006. He has a congenital heart defect and had to have a new valve put in. We were starting the paper chase for China at the time, but had to stop as there is no way they will accept us with his health. Numerous other IA programs have given us the same reaction. It hurt for a while but we are ready to move on now. I would dearly love to go to India but they are not terribly receptive right now and my husband's health issue, he is FINE now, makes it that much more difficult.

We are now thinking domestic, though we are not 100% certain. I very much want a baby young enough to nurse but we are also talking about an older toddler. As our daughter gets older the age possibilities for our next child increase. We are big believers in maintaining the age order so our newest child needs to be our youngest. We will just have to wait and see who comes our way.

I plan to nurse my daughter for as long as she wants to, which at this rate will be until she is staring college , so HOPEFULLY when the time comes I will still have a milk supply and won't have to go through relactation.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Yes, you can do it.. I did it with our baby we adopted from Fla at 2 days old.. and I got to nurse him right away as soon as we got to the hospital! and he had been bottle fed for 2 days too ! he latched right on and I had no problems at all.. and i nursed him for 1 mo totally with out any bottles at all .. I did take domperidone, and still do.. and I am in menopause also. I take goats rue..and also mothers milk herb drops in juice too. But, get lots of support from LLL and a lactation consultant too.. they will really be supportive and give you lots of help. I did not know that we would really get a baby when i started taking domperidone and BC pills.. but, 3 mo later we saw our baby posted in the internet by his agency trying to find a family to adopt him. .and we wanted too! so, we sent our HS in and they picked us as they had no other families that wanted to go thru the process with a baby with special needs. he has 2 holes in his heart,,and curvature of the spine.. he is doing fine now at 6 mo old..and still comfort nursing,and getting donor Breastmilk too.. I joined www.MilkShare@yahoo.com and they are a great group that donates milk for babies that need it. and the mom's are nursing their own babies too. Hope this helps you.. let me know,, Lisa C

Shy-Thanks for your post! Congrats on your adoption! Since I can't take the HRT during bf, how did you keep the menopause symptoms under control?

Are you using donor milk because you don't have a full supply? Thanks for the link, I'm definately going to check it out!

How long did it take you to get milk in? How long did you pump for? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfirefly View Post
    I'm also afraid pumping is going to get really old quickly....a year doesn't seem like that long, but so many times a day and especially with no baby in sight, I think that will be a challenge. Will you give your breastmilk to your youngest or discard it? I will freeze it, and then slowly start to discard as it gets too old. It would be nice to be able to save some of it for the baby though.
    Hello
    hopefulfirefly
    I have stumbled on your post, and am facinated by this jouney for you! I think you could donate the milk if you were getting enough, to a milk bank. There are alot of moms on here that have so much they donate the extra. That would give you a good feeling of helping other mommies and babies, while waiting for your own. They only require a simple blood test to qualify.

Also, a friend just adopted a baby boy. They got him fast..but she indicated to me that her doctor said it was do-able if she had a little more time. It seems like when you are ready..you can begin the job you want your body to do. Stay positive and joyful about it. I feel bfd-ing is such an emotional thing. So put your heart into it! Wishing you a happy road ahead!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!