Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BF Adopted Baby?

Default BF Adopted Baby?

Has anyone here bf their adopted baby?

My dh and I will be adopting, not until next year, but my understanding is that bf an adopted baby requires a lot of planning and preparation, so I'm here (although, still probably earlier than required, but I'm anxious to learn). Some people are horrified about the concept of bf an adopted baby, I'm hoping I don't get that resisitance on these boards.

A bit of background: I'm 24, have had a full hysterectomy and I am in menopause. There is a "protocol" for someone in my situation to bf their adopted baby: http://www.asklenore.com/breastfeedi..._protocol.html

The problem is, with adoption, you never know when the baby is going to arrive. I want to have my milk supply in when the baby is placed in our arms so I can bf from day 1, but, the "estimated" wait is 6-18 months. I'm just curious if others have done this, and how you prepared for the baby's "unplanned" arrival. Also, we'll be adopting out of state (we live in MI, we'll be going to FL), I know they have stores there, but, what supplies will I need? The baby will not be "officially" ours until 48 hours after placement, which means he will be bottle fed before hand (unless the birthmom ok's giving breastmilk or my breastfeeding), so I'm concerned with nipple confusion or refusal to bf. Plus, I need to consider if I can "emotionally" handle bf a baby before 48 hours, that may not be "mine". Sorry for the rambling, just a lot to consider. Thanks!

Default Re: BF Adopted Baby?

well, I can't give you ANY advice, because I have no idea about adoption, and getting yourself to lactate. I do believe that if you are eager to do it, then you will be able to....emotionally speaking. I hope that makes sense. I really don't think you would run into resistance here, regarding bfing an adopted angel, but, if you do, too bad. Its up to you, just ignore any nasty comments if you were to recieve them. Good luck. I hope you and your DH will have a wonderful and positive experpience, both with breastfeeding and adopting.

Welcome home. We will be happy to share your induced lactation experience with you here. Read Dr. Jack Newman's lactation protocol:http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeed...protocols.html

I know it is possible to spontaniously lactate....my parents adopted when my baby sister was 20 and my mom started lactating again....I don't know if maybe you my have to get an injection of hormone or not...you could as your doctor
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

I think you'll find that rather than being "horrified", a lot of us are really excited/interested to hear about someone embarking on such a journey, and might even pester you for updates if you stick around here long enough. I don't know much about induced lactation myself, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can give you good advice. There a whole area of the board dedicated to it, actually. Though it sounds like you know a lot already. I can just offer support and good luck!

As for the emotional side, I would say that first meeting your baby, even if they're biologically yours, can be a little odd and intimidating. But the desire to nurse comes from somewhere within even if the bond isn't really established yet. So I'm guessing that if you are able (I mean permitted) to try in the first 48 hours, you would find a similar drive.

It's so great that you will be adopting and that you will be nursing your child! I personally know two women who nursed their adopted children, one solo, and the other in tandem with her biological daughter. I think both would highly recommend the experience not just for the health benefits but for the bonding it fostered. I wish I could speak to your specific questions, but I don't really know enough about adoptive nursing. I just want to wish you lots of luck and joy as you embark on your mothering journey!

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Congratulations and best wishes. I am sure you will find all the support that your need here. What an amazing and wonderful thing to do for your baby. Breastfeeding is a wonderful bonding experience. I have read a bit on breastfeeding an adpoted baby and from what I understand it is possible. If you haven't already I would encourage you to contact your LLL Leader I'm sure they will be able to help.

Don't have much advice to offer (I've known of people who bf adopted babies, but don't know the details). But, I wanted to welcome you and wish you lots of luck!!!!

Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

How exciting!

I can't offer you any information, I'm sure someone will come along soon with all the information you need. I know of one person who nursed her infant adopted son, but I haven't talked to her in a long time. If no one here can assist you, I will try to get a hold of her.

Keep us up to date, we want to embrace you, your DH, and baby!