Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pain

Default Breast pain

My 19 mos. old son still nurses like a newborn, which is fine cause he's my "baby" However this means that if he goes for any length time without nursing, the "girls" are still on high alert and they fill up. Yesterday this happened and even after he drained that breast I have had pain ever since. In one spot it is very tender and sore, although not red or swollen. My doctor says it's a cyst but I'm not sure. It still hasn't gone away and he's been at that breast alternately all day today. How long should I let this pain remain before I seek another doctors visit? I've had mastitis before and this doesn't seem to be it.

Default Re: Breast pain

Were you massaging the breast at all to hand express some milk? I notice that after I do a lot of massaging, to unclog a pore or release some milk, that the area stays sore for a few days after.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

It sounds like what I've experienced with plugged ducts. DS's nursing patterns were to variable in his second year I had a lot of them.

So I checked out some Jack Newman reading and I guess it could be a clogged duct or milk cyst. I wonder how long I should let it remain though before I seek treatment besides home remedies. And speaking of those, any suggestions?

warm a damp face cloth in the microwave, and hold it over the area, massage toward the nipple, hot shower, and nurse with lower lip toward the clog. It might be sore for a few days after from all the massaging, but it should release...also massage toward the nipple while he is nursing. HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK