Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sling recommendation for 30 hours air travel

Default Re: sling recommendation for 30 hours air travel

Well, I haven't gone yet... I am planning to bring her carseat just in case there is an extra seat and she can sit in it...otherwise I have to just hold her in my arms. I'm guessing it is because even when adults are free to get up and move, you still have to have your seat belt on while sitting, and perhaps the front carrier would interfere with the seat belt?? I'm not quite sure. But you can use the carrier to get the baby on and off the plane.

If you're wanting to nurse in the sling, I'd go for a ring sling. I've nursed a couple times in a pouch but it's not very easy. I was bigger chested at 5 months pp and couldn't get things positioned right. Plus the tail of the ring sling will be a good cover up. I've heard on another thread that a mom was told she couldn't use a sling because it wasn't an approved restraint for the baby. So she told them it was a nursing aid, not a child restraint, and they let her use it!!

I know the Women's Hosptial near me sells ring slings, but besides that the only other place I've seen a selection of slings is at Mothersville in Memphis. You might try googling "baby slings" + the name of your city and see if anything pops up.

Good Luck!

Also another good place to look for a good deal on baby ring slings is to search on Ebay. They have a variety of them posted on there, some used and new...just be sure to check out the sellers feedback to make sure you are buying from a honest seller. Take care and good luck!

Anybody know where in Toronto you can try them on. FYI the jolly jumper sling doesn't work for kids who can't sit up on their own. I have heard that baby has to be in carseat, but I don't know for sure.

I love my unpadded ring sling. Using it properly takes ALOT of practice. It is also best if someone who knows how to use one is around to give you some pointers. Maya wrap.com is a good website that can show you how to use it in all different ways.

I like my maya wrap ring sling for travel (DS is 13 months and we have flown 6times). Pouches are handy, too. With both of these styles you can easily pop the baby in and out (for example when you go through security). I like the ring slings because they are adjustable so you can raise/lower the baby for BFing, there is extra fabric you can use to cover yourself, and other people can wear the baby (pouches, unless they're say a stretchy microfleece, have to fit "just so"). I'm not sure where you could get one in a week, though. You could try looking on thebabywearer.com or peppermint.com and see if one of the vendors offers expedited shipping. Most local brick and mortar stores don't stock slings (although a store in Chicago just opened up called Be Bye Baby that does stock slings). One other thought is if there's a Mom in your area who sells through the UBB Natural family boutique, she may have something in stock and may even deliver it to you in person.

On previous trips, I tried travelling with a wrap-style sling (HugaBub) and a mei tai but found it more cumbersome to tie and untie when going through security. It depends on the airport, but even if your sling has no metal parts, they make you take it off before you pass through the metal detector (the same way they make people take their jackets off).

Also, I have never been allowed to wear my baby in the seat. They claim it is an FAA regulation that only an FAA-approved restraint be used, and they consider a sling a restraint. One airline employee I asked said that they consider it safer for the baby to be loose in the cabin than be crushed by both of you falling forward into the seat in front of you. I'm not sure I follow that logic, but whatever. Admittedly, the safest thing would be for babies to be in infant seats in their own seat, but no one I know actually does that.

Sometimes you will get a flight attendant who looks the other way or doesn't recognize the sling as such and thinks it's just a blanket.