Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sling recommendation for 30 hours air travel

Default sling recommendation for 30 hours air travel

I'm travelling from US to my home country which is 30 hour travel with my 5 month old DD.I'm looking easy to use sling recommendation so I can use that instead of stroller during changing terminal because she throws up in car seat b'cos of reflux.I have no idea about sling or have never used one.I would appreciate if some experienced mom can give me some advice on which one to buy.Since this is family emergency we have only one more week time.I want to bfed her using sling.

Is it too late to try sling ?Any other things to watch out.....

Thanks
    Mangai

Default Re: sling recommendation for 30 hours air travel

I always liked my unpadded ring sling the best.
    The padding seamed to get in the way. It will take some practice to get the hang of the sling. look for one that has an open tail that way you can use the extra fabric to cover the baby up when you nurse.
    Good luck.
    heres how to make your own...
    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/reversible.html
    http://www.mamakangaroo.com/slingin.htm

There are so many styles of sling to chose from and everyone will find that one works best for her and for her baby - I went through several different slings as my baby got bigger and her needs changed.
    I would recommend going into a baby store that has a range of slings that you can try and give them a go - see what works for you.
    I always found a simple large sarong tied at the ends and hung over my shoulder like the ring slings worked great - and it was cheap and versatile, and doubles as a thin blanket, a sheet, a skirt...

If you can try a few on, that is the best, but even where I live in a major city, I haven't been able to find a store that has all the various kinds. I have used a pouch, ring sling, ergo carrier and mei hip carrier. For a 5mo, and since you want to use it for travel & bf'ing, I'd recommend a pouch. It's much snugger than the other ones and there's less to mess with in terms of adjustments. Just put it on and go. I've been impressed by Kangaroo Korner pouches. They also have slings I think, so you could order a few types and then return the one(s) you don't like.

Red face Re: sling recommendation for 30 hours air travel

Hi! I was wondering where you might be able to find slings to try on? Like, what are some good stores that might have several to try on? Just wondering. Thanks!

Babies R Us have a ton to try on

I have gone thru so many wraps and slings! So I figured I would throw in my 2cents
    I have had a maya pouch which I liked for it was easy to put on but I didn't like how loose my baby felt in it.
    I had a ellaroo-which is a tie on wrap-these are nice and secure to you. Harder to nurse in and harder to put on
    I also had a moby wrap which was a tie on also same type of thing---but a nice jersey material. This was one of my favorites But it gets out of shape fast
    I also have 2 ring slings which are my ultimate favorites!!!!!! I have a maya ring sling that is padded just on the shoulder. It can be bulky though. I also have a zolveil sling-which is the same stylle but is meant for warm climates and has SPF in it so your baby won't get sunburned. TYou can even wear it in the shower and wading in a pool.

Hope these help-let us know which one you go with!

I also have heard that a lot of people like hotslings-----it's like a pouch style

I made my own pouch style sling... it's much like a hotsling, but different fabric. It has been my favorite. It's so easy to use and light so I don't get too hot.

I can't recommend a sling, but you may want to check with your airline because some will not allow you to wear the baby during the flight. I was going to use my front carrier when I flew home with my daughter, and they don't allow it to be worn during the flight.

oh boy so what did you do with the baby then? did it stay in a car seat for the flight? That makes no sence? If the grown ups are able to get up and move around why should they care where the baby is?
    humm something to think about.