Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i don't want to wean :(

Default i don't want to wean :(

Hi all!

I conceived my DD via artificial insemination, I am still breast-feeding her, she is now 12 months old and I wanted to breast-feed until she wanted to but my DH wants to star TTC again soon. The problem is I didn't get my period back yet and my fertility Dr suggested to wait till may and if I didn't get my period back by then, to wean her at least during the day (she nurses all night, every hour or so).

i am very sad and wish my situation was different but I'm not getting any younger so I don't have a choice. Will weaning from day feedings make my period to come back? Is there any other way? (I already know this answer but I need some hope )

Thanks very much in advance!!

Lasbi

Default Re: i don't want to wean :(

Wow that is a really tough choice. I don't have any advise to offer. I am curious what others will say though. Their are some pretty BF savy women on here. I am sure you will get some good advise soon.

My period started to play Pop and Go around 12weeks in when DJ started sleeping for 5hour stretches...and then went away again from 6-9 months during the increased night nursings of his 1st 4 teeth. And then for all the subsequent teeth. It came back permanently when I went back to work full time @14months. I'd say if you can find a way to get ANY 8hour stretch in 24hours you may get it.....why not try Night weaning instead. It may be easier to get her to wean while sleeping rather than while awake if with you...are you home with her?

Way too lazy for formula

lots of hugs mama, this has got to be a hard decision.
    The short answer is yes, there are more ways than completely weaning to bring your period back. What method may work for you is where we don't know until it happens.

Abrupt changes in nursing patterns seem to bring back your period better than say night weaning slowly. It's also not so much when she nurses, as how long she is at the breast per 24 hours. A lot of things can change when they are toddlers, they want to nurse all day every day, then want nothing to do with it for a whole day. This is what brings a lot of mother's periods back in the 12-24 month range.
    Check out these two links for more info -
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fe...y.html#achieve
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBfertility.html

Whatever happens, breastfeeding for a year is nothing to sneeze at, you have done a wonderful job!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks a lot to all for your responses!

Jessica, you made me cry! I know it's great to Bf for as long as I did, but I am enjoying our relationship so much, the only idea of thinking of weaning brings tears to my eyes. I never thought I was going to make the year mark and now I just want to keep doing it.

I'll take a look at the links and see what I can do to bring my period back.

Thanks again for your support!

Lasbi

I would say wait until May, you never know you just might get your period back by then. I got mine "early" at 8, then 7 months pp with both my kids. The night feedings might be what's preventing ovulation, so you may consider night weaning instead of day weaning? How old will she be in May? Good luck, I know this decision can't be easy. I'm ttc right now and my lo is already 19 months and I worry about her weaning/my suppy when I get pregnant. . .
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

My period came back after I started doing yoga again around 11 months pp and there was no change in my son's nursing patterns. The yoga that I do stimulates internal organs and helps ovulation (I got pregnant with my son thanks to yoga too). Here is the one I am doing in case you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Wai-Lana-Yoga-.../dp/B0002DB5FE

Thanks a lot!! Yes, for what you are telling me I guess night weaning would be better. I'll definitely will wait till may. I'm going back to work from home next week and i don't want to make so many changes now. Though going back to work is a change so may be I get lucky!

I hope everything will turn out fine for us.

And... just to add to the great advice you've already received, if you night wean, you don't miss it as much as you would if you weaned during the day because you're sleeping

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I weaned daytime pumping and feeding at 1 year and I still haven't had AF...