Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Short Feedings/Hardly Any Milk After Pumping

Default Short Feedings/Hardly Any Milk After Pumping

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site and I have a 1 week old baby girl. She latches on great and seems to suck well for about 5 to 10 minutes per breast (she has never nursed for more than 12 minutes per breast). Sometimes she is even to sleepy to nurse on the other breast. I have been pumping after most feedings and I am only getting 5 to 10 mls total!!! Do you think that she is just a really efficient feeder or do you think that my milk supply is really low?

Her output is really good so I think that she is getting enought to eat. We do occasionally supplement with formula when her feedings are less than 5 minutes. I would love to supplement with breast milk but I can't build enough up!

I don't know how I would ever build up a decent milk supply when I go back to work.

Any thoughts? I am so overwhelmed/tired/stressed/full of anxiety about all of this

Default Re: Short Feedings/Hardly Any Milk After Pumping

Hi There!

When do you plan to go back to work?

You mention that your baby's output is good. How is her weight gain? At 1 week old she should be having 6-8 wet diapers and 2-3 dirty diapers per day. If she is, you can be assured that she is getting plenty.

There is no need to supplement with formula after feedings, even if the feeding is short. Some babies are just really efficient nursers and it doesn't take them long to get enough. Additionally, when the whether is hot, some babies will nurse in short, frequent bursts--this is because the foremilk is higher in water and it helps them to stay hydrated.

As for building up a milk supply for returning, here are some articles that may help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/returnwork.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html

You might also want to visit our Pumping Forum for some been-there-done-that advice!

Good luck. It sounds like you're doing great
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I totally agree with the pp - if she's growing and putting out enough diapers, then theres nothing to worry about, she's just an efficient feeder.
    keep nursing on demand and your milk supply will meet the demand nicely (nature made it that way )
    however, you dont really need to supplement at all, in fact, supplementing with formula could eventually result in a decrease in your supply. your breastmilk will give your baby everything she needs. Dont worry!

Thanks for responding. She left the hospital on June 29th and weighed 6 lbs, 8 oz. She weighed 6 lbs 10 oz on July 2nd.

Also, I plan on returning to work in 3 months.

Well, the fact that she surpassed her birthweight in a mere three days is impressive! That's an excellent sign that she's getting enough to eat!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

the first time I pumped (and that may have been at 2 weeks), I only got an ounce...so don't get discouraged! At 11 weeks...I get a whopping 5 ounces, so you'll be able to pump what you need...don't worry.

(how long after the feedings do you pump? immediately? 1 hour?)