Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing laying down and ear infections

Default nursing laying down and ear infections

Just a few questions. My daughter just turned one and has had ongoing ear infections since the beginning of January. She nurses frequently at night and get EBM (one bottle and 1 cup 4-8 oz total) plus food during the day. Her night feedings are almost always in my bed except her bedtime feeding is sometimes in the rocker. Should I feed her sitting up to help with her ears? I really dont want to as I work full time and I am really tired. My older daughter had a lot of ear infections too and ended up getting tubes at 2years (she has done great since the tubes with only one ear infection)but I did not nurse her as long so I guess I was hoping the with prolonged BF we would be able to avoid this. I know bottles lying down can contribute to ear infection but I was not sure about the lying down nursing.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth
    Mom to Trudie 12 months and Meghan 3 years
    married to John since 9/5/03

Default Re: nursing laying down and ear infections

Looks like according to the research it's okay. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...n-nursing.html

You should check out an excellent book called "Healing Childhood Ear Infections".

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

im no md but i think its heredity not ur bf practices. for example, my ds is 2.75 and nursed all night co sleeping until he was just over 2 (were still nursing, but i dont nurse him at night anymore w/ my new nursling here)with no ear infections ever. maybe ur little one is just prone to it.
    could you try laying on ur side w/ her head up on ur arm so theres a little incline?
    best wishes..
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

We always nurse laying down at night, and reclined during the day. One of my LOs has had 2 ear infections, the other 1, no problems with chronic. I don't think it's related to bf, maybe your LOs ears are just prone to them. I have a friends who night weaned her LO from an early age and she's had all kinds of chronic health problems, had to get tubes put in by 8 months, and she never nursed laying down.

My lo is 16 months and co-sleeps/nursing lying down few times a night and sometimes at naptime. No ear infections! She is my first baby not to have at least a couple of ear infections by 16 months. And, I never nursed my other babies lying down! But they had ear infections.

Thanks alot. I will continue to nurse lying down. Its so relaxing that way. I went to a meeting today and some moms said they did everything "right" and there kids still got ear infections others said there kids never did. I think it has a lot to do with genetics and the shape of her ears canals and also I know day care is a major risk factor but I cant change that. I also don't think I can handle making any major dietary changes for myself right now. TOO stressful to think about. Please dont judge me.

Unless you baby nurses sitting up on your lap, they are always laying down while nursing. The only person things are different for are you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary484 View Post
    Unless you baby nurses sitting up on your lap, they are always laying down while nursing. The only person things are different for are you.

That could be true depending on how your baby is positioned. When I sit up, though, my lo is at about a 30 degree angle.