Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hospital grade pump question

Default hospital grade pump question

What are the differences between the Medela PIS and the hospital grade pumps. I understand that the PIS is single user vs. multiple users for the hospital grade pumps. Do the hospital grade pumps have stronger suction or is the suction different? Why are they able to extract more milk? Basically, what makes them better?

Default Re: hospital grade pump question

Default Re: hospital grade pump question

I have used both hospital grade pumps and the Medela PIS. Although the PIS works fine, I always found that the hospital grade pump worked way, way better and was way, way faster... but it is hard to put a finger on why. I think it cycles faster, but maintains really effective suction. I found that when I would speed up the PIS cycle, the effectiveness of the suction would suffer. I always got roughly the same amount of milk with the PIS, it would just take twice as long to get it. I also always felt more comfortable with the closed system of the hospital pump.

If you're trying to make a decision about what kind of pump to get... I think it depends on why you will be pumping. If you are working full time or exclusively pumping... a hospital grade pump may be worth it. If you are only working part time or just pumping for occasional bottles... the PIS (or the less expensive Ameda Purely Yours) would be just fine.