Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Butternut Squash Question

Default Butternut Squash Question

I just made my first butternut squash puree, and I'm not sure if it tastes right. I've had butternut squash before, in soups and other dishes, but I've never had it just plain, unseasoned. It tastes a lot less sweet than the other veggies I've fed my daughter so far (acorn squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes). Is this normal? Thanks for any insight!

Default Re: Butternut Squash Question

It is kind of bland since you're having it unseasoned. Your LO won't mind though, babies like bland food in the begining. Once my DS got older I would add a little butter and cinnamon. After the one year mark you can add honey. I hear it's good with honey but we never have it in the house so I don't know. DS has had a lot of sweeter things since but he still will eat plain butternut squash, thank goodness!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I actually find its less bland than most other vegetables I offer! I haven't tried some of those other squashes, but when I've snuck a taste of the carrots, yams, prunes, etc., I find that the butternut squash is relatively better. I think its best to not sweeten anything now, once they get used to a ton of flavor that's it!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

You could put a little cinnamon in the puree.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

How are you preparing them?

I bake bnsquash in the oven-it seems to hold on to the flavor best-and then make a pureé from that. It's very sweet and ds gobbles them up. I think they're some of his favorite food. www.wholesomebabyfood.com is my favorite resource for homemade baby food.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!