Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: projectile vomiting after BF

Default projectile vomiting after BF

HI!
    new user to the board. i thought i was on easy street until i went back to work...

my DS has been BF only for 13 weeks. we had a great nursing relationship and really haven't had any problems except a few cases of engorgement and leaking when he's slept through the night or i've been unable to nurse. he's had the bottle in the past; doesn't really latch on or love it but doesn't fuss either.

now that i'm back at work things are a mess! i've been pumping ridiculous amounts of milk -- 15 oz at my morning pumping sessions for a total of 20 oz during the day alone. during that same time period, my son is consuming only about 10-12 oz of milk.

now he's projectile vomiting after he nurses, but not after he's bottle fed. this is really frustrating because not only do i not know what's going on, i've got the men and non-breastfeeders in my world weighing in on the situation which is causing me to be really anxious that i won't be able to continue breastfeeding. my SO insists he's getting too much at the breast and the physician is claiming reflux. i don't know if i agree with either.

additionally, this all began at the same time he got his first cold (thanks daycare!), though it doesn't seem that the relationship is anything but coincidental.

i don't want him relying on a nuk and i don't want to wean him off my breast. do i need to pump differently? i really don't know what to do.

as i type this both of my breasts are ready to explode...please help!

thank you

Default Re: projectile vomiting after BF

Hello and ,

Congratulations on breastfeeding your baby for 13 weeks.

It sounds like you are experiencing an oversupply of milk. This can make it hard for WOHMs, because for some reason, many mothers find that any amount of pumping sends their milk supplies into overdrive. A couple of thoughts for you:

~You might want to try hand expression. Many oversupplied moms find it to be relatively easy, and it doesn't seem to cause the problems that pumping can.

~Consider pumping only one breast at a time. This will send your body the message that you don't need to make quite so much milk. If you start to feel engorged on the opposite side, you can hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable. You might also consider a manual pump, and use it to pump only one breast at a time. Switch sides the next time you pump.

HTH. Hang in there and keep us posted!

Tiana

thank you so much for the advice -- i've employed a couple of these techniques and things are much improved. it was nice to be able to store a bunch of milk but it's amazing how everything can become a mess in a hurry when your body is out of sync.

thanks again

You're welcome! So glad to have been helpful!

Tiana