Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st overnight trip without my 15 month old - pump or not?

Default 1st overnight trip without my 15 month old - pump or not?

Hi, I have a 15 month old daughter whom I nurse 3-4 times per day (after she wakes up, before her nap(s) and before bedtime) on weekends. I work full-time, so on weekdays, pump once at work in the morning (I start work at 5:15 am, before she wakes up) and nurse her 2 times after I come home from work (around 4:30/5 pm and then before bedtime). I have never been apart from her for more than a 4 hour period of time. I have to fly cross-country to NYC (I live in LA) in mid-February and can't take her with me. I have minimized the length of my trip as much as humanly possible and will be away for about 1.75 days (Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon). My question is: will I have to pump? Or can I get away with not nursing for a couple days? My gut instinct is that I won't have to, but I don't want to create any problems, e.g., clogged ducts, or worse yet, mastitis. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Default Re: 1st overnight trip without my 15 month old - pump or not?

I think you might have to... I just think you will get really uncomfortable if you go from 3-4 times a day to nothing. Even if you just pump a couple times I think it would be better then none. As you said clogged ducts, mastitis. I wouldn't want to risk it. Could you pack the pump just in case? I put all the parts in a clear ziplock bag and carry them in my carryon so you know they won't mess with it.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Maybe you can hand express when you are away if it is possible at all

If you have room for your pump and can easily take it with you, you might as well take it and that way you'll have the option to use it if you get uncomfortable. Then you won't be stuck squeezing your boobs out in a public toilet or something.

I guess if you don't want to take your pump you could always hand express. I manage to do both these days - often don't have my pump with me on weekends so I take a bottle and hand express at a friends house or somewhere, but I would go prepared - you could become seriously uncomfortable and in pain if you get engorged. Good luck with the trip.

I think you should take your pump! Just in case, KWIM?
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Thanks everyone for the input!