Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is bypassing bottles do-able?

Default Is bypassing bottles do-able?

Hiya
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old and I'd like to keep doing it for as long as I can. I go back to work when she is 8 months old. What I would like to know is:

When do babies take a sippy cup? I'd really like to b/f until she can drink from one of those, and possibly just b/f at night, completely bypassing the bottle. Is this possible? Or should I try to come up with another plan....

Default Re: Is bypassing bottles do-able?

It's certainly possible! Some mom's even go from the breast to a regular cup. At 8 months you shouldn't have a problem with the sippy cup.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

My DS is almost a year and he will just now take a couple sips from is sippy cup. It's not unthinkable that a 8 month old could do it but I'd be shocked if she did. My DS completly refuses a bottle to this day so it's lucky for us that I get to stay home. My advice would be to actually start giving her the occasional bottle of expressed breast milk just so it would be less of a problem when you do go back to work. I know it's not what you wanted to do and probably not what you wanted to hear but that is what I'd recommend. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Well, I'm trying to convince hubby that I shouldn't go back to work. So if he's on board with that idea, then I don't have a problem.

She will take a bottle. The hospital got me to supplement her with formula for a couple weeks when she was born (she lost a lot of weight in the hospital) and I have bottles in the house from that, and when I know I absolutely can't b/f for a feeding, I pump and bottle feed. And that's probably once every couple weeks.

I'm thinking, now that she's grasping things and putting them in her mouth, I'll get her familiar with the cups now. With nothing in them. Hopefully it'll work. Even more hopeful I won't be going back to work!!

My 9 month old won't take a bottle. He refuses it. He can drink from a regular cup though, not a sippy. I've never tried giving a sippy because he does fine with a regular cup.

Straw cups are sometimes easier than the sippy cups with valves (and less messy than sippy cups without their valves), so that would be another option.

It is definitely possible! DD started using a sippy cup around 6 or 7 months. She is a pro with a cup! We did give her a bottle with ebm (I pumped at work) but she is completely off the bottle now. Every child is different, but for us we just started the cup early and gave it to her everyday. It just became a learned habit. Good Luck!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Quote Originally Posted by lovebeingmommy View Post
    It is definitely possible! DD started using a sippy cup around 6 or 7 months. She is a pro with a cup! We did give her a bottle with ebm (I pumped at work) but she is completely off the bottle now. Every child is different, but for us we just started the cup early and gave it to her everyday. It just became a learned habit. Good Luck!

Mine too!

You can totally skip the bottle.

DS #1 didn't get bottles. In fact, we skipped sippy cups and went straight to straw type cups at 6 months, just for playing around.

DS #2 got some bottles, mostly because I had to go to work one day a week and it was just easier for the caregiver versus having a baby use a cup (they can use them from birth -- there's a sheet in the FAQ on how to do this). He also skipped sippy cups out of personal perference.

My suggestion. .. Start having cup practice at bath time.

But you do not need to give bottles. At 8 months, if you go back to work, your baby may be able to drink breastmilk from a cup, and you may have a kid who is really into solids at that point too (my DS #2 cut out on his own a lunchtime nursing).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for all the advice! Olivia is only 3 months, so I guess I'm planning a bit early, but it's good to know it might be possible.

The bath time practice is a great idea. As soon as she can sit up I'll give it a try. I bath her in the big bath tub with her laying on my bath pillow, so she's not propped up like she would be in a baby tub. (she LOVES to kick and splash and there's just not enough room in those things for my wild animal lol)

I've got a couple sippy and straw cups on my shopping list, so she can play with them for now.

Thanks again, it really helped