Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Minute prep/jitters

Red face Last Minute prep/jitters

Good Evening, ladies!!
    I have some question about what to do to finalize my preparations for the hospital and some last minute jitters. I am delivering via repeat c/s on Friday morning at 8:30. I just bought some of the Lansinoh disposable nursing pads and Lansinoh ointment for my nipples in case of irritation. I have a boppy, a newly re-covered glider to nurse in (I sewed the slip-cover myself and am VERY proud--so pardon me while a brag a bit!) I've got the diaper changing station set up w/2 piles of diapers (6 for the wet diapers, 4 for the poopies so I don't have to count, I'll know she has had enough wet/poopie diapers when I use all of them that I have out.) DH and I have decided to try co-sleeping, so I've got all but our 2 pillows off the bed, and 1 sheet. I have a copy of "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" in my hospital suitcase, and the #'s for the LLL leaders in my area so I can call them from the hospital if I need help.

What am I missing? Tell me if there is anything else you guys think I need for the hospital--anything else I need to do to get ready to bring her home next Monday or Tuesday (whenever they discharget me)???

Any help/encouragement you all can offer me would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance!
    KRista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed (6-19-04)
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-04)

Default Re: Last Minute prep/jitters

Wow, you are really prepared! The things I had to have DH go home and get were x-tra pads and panties. This was my 2nd, and I don't remember bleeding that much with my 1st!! I went thru a whole lot of panties. Good luck!!!

How about a nursing nightgown and a sleepbra to hold in your pads? Some women don't get thei milk while they're in the hospital but since it's a c-section you'll be there for like 4 days right? ANd just be sure to take your instructions about what you want done with your baby with you and make your wishes made clear before surgery. (No formula, pacifiers ect.) Because it's suregery you will be separated. My mom went with the baby and my husband stayed with me in recovery. And be prepared for long nights! Night#2 everytime I tried to take my son off my breast his eys would open almost wide as his mouth! He looked just like that! Trying to get the milk to come in! Good luck!

I am very fortunate in that my baby and I will not be separated. The hospital I am delivering at does have a nursery, but you have to ask them to take the baby there. The only time DS was out of my sight was when DH had to leave delivery because he almost passed out. When he left, the nurse went with him and took the baby. When I got into my room, the nurse was sitting there rocking the baby while DH went out and told the family that DS was there. This time, my sister is going to be in scrubs, sitting outside the OR so that if DH has to leave again, he can, but my sister is going to come in to be w/me and the baby. I do have some nursing pj's, and I have bought 4 of the glamourmom tanks and they are all packed for the hospital.

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to respond--I'm feeling a lot better about Friday now.

Krista

Don't forget your toothbrush!
    sounds like youve got everything under control...

Talking Re: Last Minute prep/jitters

Sounds like you are ready to roll! Don't forget socks, I did! I work at teh hsoiptal where i delivered and one of teh nurses caught me in the hallway and gave me a hard time for not having socks or slippers on. I told her that i am warm by nature and always go barefoot. her exact words - "well, you wouldn't drag your sheet down the hallway and then get back in your bed, would you?" True! Socks or slippers keep the floor cooties out of your bed AND keep your toes warm!

Good luck!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

ugg I got yelled at about the bare feet too..when I was in the hospital with my dd.. my slippers got under the wheels of the table that goes on your bed. and they got shoved way back under the bed.
    Well anyway I coudn't figure out how to get them out with out hurting myself,
    they said that I should have called and let them know I needed something.
    your going to do just fine!
    Take some snacks along.. I was so hungry, and that bowel of oatmeal in the morning just doesn't do it for me. Don't be afraid to ask for more food!
    have a safe delivery!
    let us know if you need anything!

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama
    I am very fortunate in that my baby and I will not be separated. The hospital I am delivering at does have a nursery, but you have to ask them to take the baby there. I do have some nursing pj's, and I have bought 4 of the glamourmom tanks and they are all packed for the hospital.

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to respond--I'm feeling a lot better about Friday now.

Krista
    WOW! My hospital had the same policy about Mom & Baby being kept together but when I had my c-section they took him to do all the stuff they generally do in a regular delivery room and did them in the nursery while I was in recovery.Versus in an operating room Like the eye drops and feet prints and the blood out of the heel for infection. My Mom brought him to me in recovery when they were done and we all went to postpartum together....I thought it was standard for the babies and mom to get separated after a c-section. Maybe it's a state by state thing? Anyways sounds like you are ready! 2nd time and it sounds like your are prepared! Oh! at my hospital if you got caught running around without socks they gave you some! And stock up on the dispoeable undies! They are so light weight they feel like nothing but the keep the everything in place. I took enought home to last me two weeks after stay!

I forgot to bring deodorant. I got crazy hot the day after delivery!

Krista, I'm impressed at how thoroughly you have prepared for nursing this baby.

My only piece of advice is to get the baby to breast absolutely as soon as possible after the birth. Talk to your OB about it, and when you arrive at the hospital, keep talking about it with everyone on your care team. "I want to breastfeed as soon as possible after the birth." It's _wonderful_ that your baby will not be taken from you for routine procedures. With a little help, you should be able to nurse quite soon after delivery even though it's a cesarean. I've even heard of moms nursing their baby right in the O.R. as the docs are closing mom up!

During your hospital stay, spend as much time as you can with baby skin-to-skin against your chest.

And, of course, you know to avoid artificial nipples and supplements like formula or sugar water. Just nurse nurse nurse. This will be so much easier with baby nearby all the time -- you really are fortunate to be at a hospital that doesn't routinely separate moms and babies.

I will hold you in the Light (it's a Quaker form of prayer) from now until we get a joyous birth announcement sometime after Friday! Any chance you can ask your DH to post something here? Or, I would be honored to take a phone call so I can relay the news to everyone here. Send me a private message if you'd like to do that.

--Rebecca