Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: scared about working

Exclamation scared about working

Hello,

I took a new job which I will be working overnights. I will work 6 nights in a 2 week period. I co- sleep with my son and he nurses 3-4 times during the night. How do you think he will handle this? How often should I pump at night when I am at work. My son just snacks at night it's not like he empties my breasts when he eats? Just wondering if anyone else works nights and how did your baby do? My husband is a little worried because my son will not always take a bottle from him. My son is 5 months old.

Thank you,
    Crystal

Default Re: scared about working

I haven't worked nights, but I was recently on a few business trips that took me away for a couple nights. I was really concerned, but my son actually did very well without me, better than I did. He's a little older though (a year old, but still nursing a lot at night). I think it's very different for them when we're not actually there - that they are a lot more flexible than we give them credit. If your son is warmly cared for by someone familiar, and you come back to him, he will do OK (of course he will miss you!!).

Just don't underestimate how much that "snacking" adds up to. I did that and ended up with engorgement and plugged ducts. Pump as much as you can to replace what he's drinking at night - that might take a bit of trial and error to figure out, if you're co-sleeping and not always awake when he nurses.

Good luck!

Crystal, your post is so sad! My lo is 16 months and snacks alot at night too. I can't imagine not being there when he rolled over to snuggle and snack.

But I know in my head that these little ones are more resilient than we think. In nature, sometimes moms (animals and humans) might be away overnight...on a hunter/gathering trip, or trapped in a hiding place, waiting for a tiger to give up and go away....sounds crazy, but true!

Point being that sometimes moms have to be away from their babies, and its usually ok, because nature prepared us for it. Little one might get hungry and not take a bottle, but he won't starve! Can DH co-sleep with baby??

When I was pumping, during the day at work, I just pumped whenever I could, usually on 2 breaks and at lunch. No real set schedule...so I'm not much help in that area.

Good luck, I think you and baby will do just fine, and if not, then you'll figure something else out!

Thank you so much for the support. I am sure he will be fine it will take some adjustment but I am sure it will work out. My DH will be co-sleeping so he will have the comfort of someone next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnsmom View Post
    Thank you so much for the support. I am sure he will be fine it will take some adjustment but I am sure it will work out. My DH will be co-sleeping so he will have the comfort of someone next to him.
    That is great! But I know you're still a little worried, and I would be too.
    Good luck with your job.

I'll be in the same boat in a few months. I'll be working 6 12-hour shifts in two weeks. We also co-sleep and baby will be sleeping with DH. I'm curious to know if your little guy will still wake up as often if the 24-hour diner is not present. Also, do you nurse your LO to sleep? Let me know how it works out. I just posted my own little cry for help!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!