Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 Months Old and refusing foods, just breastfed

Default 9 Months Old and refusing foods, just breastfed

Hi, I'm Marcie, mom to Madeline a 9 month old baby girl that was born at 34 weeks 5 lbs 8.2 oz (pretty good size for 6 weeks early & is now 18 lbs). She had stage 4 reflux and underwent a fundoplacation & g-button surgery on May 24th and it has all but gotten better. She has refused to take any solids/cereals, etc...since we starting trying at 6 months (all but given up now). She breastfeeds like a champ and will not even take a bottle or sippy cup. How long can a baby go without foods or anything else other than breastmilk and should I be concered about this?

Marcie

Default Re: 9 Months Old and refusing foods, just breastfed

She should be able to go at least 12 mo on breastmilk alone, but you did mention that she was born a little early. Have your Dr check her iron levels.

WHO and AAP says 12 months is fine to just be breast fed - but i agree checking the iron (which they normally do at the 9 month check up)

She was on iron supplement until she was 3 almost 4 months old and bloodwork at the children's hospital showed her iron level was fine and we were told to take her off of it. It hasen't been checked since. Her 9 month appt. is coming up and I'll speak with her pedi about that. Thanks

Yes, she was 6 weeks early, spent 10 days in the NICU, 36 additional days (5 seperate admissions) in the children's hospital, one admission was for her surgery (fundoplacation & G-button).