Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night

Default Sleeping through the night

For now, DS has begun sleeping through the night. I'm not sure how to handle this in terms of my supply. The good thing is that now I have a great stash of milk in my freezer. Should I continue to get up to pump milk? If I go 4 hours then my breasts are pretty hard. I don't want to get mastitis or and clogged ducts. I know I can just pump some to make myself more comfortable but it seems as though I have to pump a lot to make that happen (about 2 ozs at least.) Right now, I feed DS on the left side during the night (about 5AM) b/c it has a slower let down. My right side produces way more milk and lets down really hard (I have the most milk during the middle of the night.) I usually pump a little from the left side so it isn't too full and then let him finish that side. I put him back to sleep and then pump the right side. I usually have to pump the right side around 2 AM as well. Would it be possible to eliminate my 2AM pumping or would that affect my supply? If I did eliminate it, and DS stops sleeping through the night, will I have a problem rebuilding my supply?

I know... lots of questions....

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by tl01; July 3rd, 2006 at 06:08 PM.

Default Re: Sleeping through the night

Hi - how old is your DS? IT could make a difference. If he's older, maybe he's ready to start sleeping through the night. If he's younger... count your blessings and be prepared!

I went through a similar experience with my DS when he was about 2 mos old. He started sleeping through the night and, while I was thrilled, I was in pain and woke up to a puddle. I also ended up with mastitis. Since the mastitis, I got up to pump. It was great because I could continue to add to my frozen stock, which I used when I went back to work. Eventually, I was able to eliminate the night pump and still be comfortable (I can't remember how long this took, but it probably wasn't too long.)

And, while I bragged to all about my newbie who slept through the night, I ignored those who said to beware for it might not last. I should have listened! He stopped about a month and a half later. So, the answer to your ability to rebuild a supply is... YES! He nursed at least 2x per night since waking again and at one point woke every two hours again (he eventually went back to 2x/night) and supply was never an issue!

Good luck and I would suggest doing whatever leaves you in the least amount of discomfort! Here's hoping he's just a really great sleeper!

DS is 3 months and 1 week and weighs over 16.5 lbs. I've heard at around 4 months that they often stop sleeping through the night so I'm worried I'm in for that treat soon

DS is still waking up at least once a night - mostly for comfort suckling. It's really taking a toll on our my health (and hubby's too). We try to give him larger feeds before he goes to bed, but he still persists in waking up.