Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6-months - does she eat too much?? help!

Default 6-months - does she eat too much?? help!

Hannah is 6 months old (June 25th) and she seems to have a very healthy appetite! She was 7lbs 9 oz when she was born, and now only 14.5 lbs which is good, but we have just started solids (aside from cereal she's been having for about a month now).. Her typical day is like this:

7-8am 6 oz formula (weaned from breastfeeding already)
    12noon - 7 or 8 (formula scoups which I thought were 1 tblspoon) of oats cereal with sip of water
    4:30-5pm 7 or 8 scoups of rice cereal
    7-7:30 6 oz of formula

this has continued throughout the month, but we have recently started carrots, sweet potatoes and I tried bananas, so as lunch went today which I thought she wanted too much to eat, I gave her 1/2 small jar of sweet potatoes, just under 1/2 small jar of carrots, but then just less that that of bananas and then she still cried for more food so I gave her 3 scoups of rice cereal and she continued to cry for more so I gave her 3 more scoups of rice cereal.. does that seem like a lot to anyone???

Default Re: 6-months - does she eat too much?? help!

She is only getting 12 oz of formula a day and not bf at all???

Yes, I agree with the previous post, that seems like a very small amount of formula in relation to solid food for a 6-month-old. At this age I think that most of their nutrition is supposed to come from breastmilk or formula, and solids are mostly just playing. Cereal in particular doesn't have a lot of nutrition, and she seems to be getting a lot of it. My six-month-old is only eating a couple of tablespoons of solids, but he nurses 7-8 times a day. Maybe she seems so hungry for solids because she needs more of the balanced nutrition from the formula? I would suggest discussing this with your pediatrician very soon.

www.askdrsears.com is a good resource as well

I was wondering if my 6 month old was eating too many solids but he is eating a lot less than that. He was 9 lbs 14 oz at birth and on the 21st, three days after the 6 month mark, he weighed in at 21 pounds. He has been exclusively on breast milk from the beginning (EBM while I am at work and nursing when I am at home) but we have added cereal and some fruits and veggies in the last four to six weeks. There isn't any set time that we give him the solids and there are days he doesn't get them at all; I am still looking at it as a fun experiment not a replacement for me/my milk. Last night he ate what I thought was too much; he had 1/2 a small jar of pears, 1/2 a small jar of sweet potatoes and about 2 tablespoons of oatmeal but he still nursed like a champ as always.

Just remember, they should be getting 90% or more of their daily intake from milk or formula; the solids are supposed to be an introduction, not a replacement.

Smile Re: 6-months - does she eat too much?? help!

I agree that your little one is not getting enough formula. The Canadian Pediatric Society recommends that babies either nurse (or in your case, have formula) right before eating their solids until about 9 mos. Did you get a book at the hospital either when you went to register at 28 or 32 weeks preg or at birth? (I'm from North Bay, Ontario) It was a really good book and talks about introducing solids. Try giving her formula before she eats, she really needs the important stuff in it more than she needs the food.

Deb

6 month old is suppose to be taking in at the very least 24 oz of formula a day, up too 32oz.

Wow, DD is taking in 40-48 ounces of breast milk a day (I ep) in addition to her solids. She has always been an eater though!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Quote Originally Posted by lisaha
    6 month old is suppose to be taking in at the very least 24 oz of formula a day, up too 32oz.
    Yes, that's what I heard too.

I sincerely hope this baby is getting more than just 12 oz of formula. Maybe she mixes the cereal with a few oz of fomrula?