Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15th month checkup

Default 15th month checkup

Once again, the pedi pushed cows milk, and tried to discuss weaning with me. She again pushed that I need to give him at least one glass of cows milk per day. AUGH.
    I told her that we both are happy to continue nursing, and changed the subject, when weaning came up. She's a nice Doctor, but I really think its time to switch. She just doesn't get it. The funny thing is, she kept going on about how smart, secure, happy and healthy he is. Hello?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: 15th month checkup

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    Once again, the pedi pushed cows milk, and tried to discuss weaning with me. She again pushed that I need to give him at least one glass of cows milk per day. AUGH.
    I told her that we both are happy to continue nursing, and changed the subject, when weaning came up. She's a nice Doctor, but I really think its time to switch. She just doesn't get it. The funny thing is, she kept going on about how smart, secure, happy and healthy he is. Hello?
    And at that point you can say, yes he is - and I attribute much of that to our continued breastfeeding!

If she's generally good otherwise, I'd keep her around. Maybe you can take some literature in to her and show her part of the reason why you're abstaining from CM for time being, and possibly expand her horizons

(here's one particular page from kelly mom I like) ...

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

Last edited by Number3; February 5th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

maybe you could take some info about child lead weaning....
    Sometimes they just don't listen, I think they are on to the next "medical"
    thing that they are going to tell you...

That is frustrating. My daughter turned one a week and 1/2 ago. She is still nursing and still wakes frequently at night. WHen we went for her 9 month check up she asked about sleep and suggested "tough love" We chose to ignore that advise and continue to give her mommy milk whenever she desires. At her one year check up she asked if we had made the switch to cows milk. I said we had started as I had given one bottle the week before her birthday that had some cows milk due to supply problems and pumping. We have tried again and she hate cow milk. SHe also dislikes cheese (cottage, chedder, american), yogurt and icecream. I just joined this group today so I hope I will find the support here to continue breastfeeding until it is no longer "mutually desired" As for the pediatrician I thought of sending mine a letter about my desire to continue and perhaps some literature about the medical and emotional benifits of extended nursing and ask her to please respect my wishes. DO you think this problems is common among pediatricians, if you switch would the next one be better and would you be satisfied with other aspects of her or her care for your child? My daughter has had some medical issues and the office is great about always getting her in for sick appointments etc so I am hesitant to switch at this point. Did you say you live in upstate NY me too?

If you are BFing there is no need to introduce cow's milk. I would let your ped know your very set on BFing & not introducing cow's milk. You may look into other ped's in your area (ie: meet with them & ask a lot of questions), but don't give up just yet. It's hard to find a ped that will agree with everything you want.

Trudiesmom, as for your little one not liking milk, if you are BFing there's really no reason to push the issue. My milk has even dried up, due to my pregnancy, & I still haven't introduced cow's milk.

Good luck to both of you & hopefully your ped will learn to respect your decision if you bring up the fact that you are very set in it.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

my son will be 14 months and drinks cows milk, when i am at work. He nurses 3-5 times in 24 hours... he wakes up about 2 times per night. I always lie, yeah yeah he isnt waking up at night, not nursing... i like my ped because she will split vaxs and doesnt push them.. i take the good with the bad
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Yeah, she's really nice, just misinformed. I think I will stay with her, and just take the good with the bad. Ultimately, I call the shots anyway.

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Yeah, she's really nice, just misinformed. I think I will stay with her, and just take the good with the bad. Ultimately, I call the shots anyway.
    If I were in your shoes I would try to find someone else. You never know, there may be someone much better out there for you. I would have a hard time sticking with someone who is so off-base on something so fundamental as BFing. It seems like if she is that behind the times on it, then there may be other updates she is missing in recent medical research.

Furthermore, since she's a woman, she may have some personal biases that may not go away even with more education. Does she have any kids of her own? Did she BF at all (obviously she isn't going as long as you are)? She may have some guilty feelings about quitting early or giving formula, and all the information in the world may not change her negative outlook on extended BFing. Just my two cents.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

She does a good thorough physical exam, and that is what she is really there for. She is not a lactation expert, not a dietician, etc...Therefore, I will not rely on her for info in those areas. PP put so much trust in Peds to know the answers to everything. They are only human, and your right, they do have personal biases that get in the way of giving good info. She does have kids of her own that she breastfed for a year. Maybe because she weaned at a year, she does have deep seated guilt, who knows. I will research to see if there are any other good peds in the area. Its hard because she is so close by and convenient.

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

She does a good thorough physical exam, and that is what she is really there for. She is not a lactation expert, not a dietician, etc...Therefore, I will not rely on her for info in those areas. PP put so much trust in Peds to know the answers to everything. They are only human, and your right, they do have personal biases that get in the way of giving good info. She does have kids of her own that she breastfed for a year. Maybe because she weaned at a year, she does have deep seated guilt, who knows. I will research to see if there are any other good peds in the area. Its hard because she is so close by and convenient.
    Now, if I were you, () and I liked her as much as you do, I'd just bring her in some info about extended breastfeeding because maybe she just doesn't know. y/k? Because she might be shaping her own childrens future and can do so how she pleases, but is at the very least shaping a hoard of others peoples childrens future... I'd rather inform than leave. Whether it change her mind or not. I'd try once and leave it at that.

JMO
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.