Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going Back To Work Soon... Advice

Question Going Back To Work Soon... Advice

I just purchased an electric pump today and some bottle to breast friendly (so they say on the box) nipples. Im supposed to go back to my part time evening job on July 31st. My baby is 6 weeks old this wednesday.

I will be working between 5 and 9pm 4 nights a week Mon-Thursday So she will be with her grandparents 4:30- 9:30pm. What I need is advice on how soon I should start getting her used to bottle feedings this time of evening?

Plus any othe advice on pumping for a first time pumper and storage tips. Things you wish you knew when you started pumping. Thanks.

Default Re: Going Back To Work Soon... Advice

theres lots of stories from pumping moms on the lll web site.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html
    you might want to call your local leader and talk to her, she could set you up with another working mom that you could talk to.
    some moms find out that the baby will not take milk from a bottle and will wait untill their mom gets back from work.
    If you feed the baby right before you leave for work and pump once or maybe 2 times at work and then feed the baby when you get home, it might only need one bottle while you were at work.
    kelly moms has some good info too.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

let us know if you have any other questions or you run into problems

I'm sure that there are a lot of stories out there as to how people dealt with this and that they are very varied, but this is what worked for us....

I went back to work FT when my DS was 15 weeks old. While I was home, I pumped as much as I could in between feedings to build up a freezer supply. I also pumped so that my DH could bottle feed DS once in while at night so that he'd know what the bottle was, but not get nipple confusion. We did this probably 2-3x/week. This worked for us as when I went back, he took the bottle from DH (who was home with DS for 3 mos paternity leave ) and anyone else who came to care for him with no problems.

As for pumping tips...
    I found I really liked the Gerber freezer bags that had a ziploc close at the top. It made things MUCH easier. The down-side to these bags, however, is that once in a while while defrosting, they leak, so defrost them in a cup or tupperware.

Also, find a bra or tight tank that you don't use a lot and cut two little slits in it at the nipple. The part of the pump that goes directly on the breast can fit through the slits and stay (keep the slits tiny) so that you can pump hands free This will allow you to do something else while you pass the time pumping - I read or ate lunch (it was the only time I had to pump at work.)

Good luck - let us know what else we can do to help!
    Sarah

Thanks. Im dreading useing the pump but plan to try it soon. I appreciate the advice.

I pour my expressed milk into an ice cube tray. Each cube is about 1 oz of milk. I bought blue trays at the dollar store (3 for $1) so they aren't confused with the white ones we use for regular ice (my husband is squeemish). After they freeze, I store them in regular ziploc bags with the date on them. Good luck.