Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Loose/Frothy Seedy Yellow Stools 5 wks

Default Loose/Frothy Seedy Yellow Stools 5 wks

New to the forum...Fourth child is now 6 wks old, first to be ebf. She's had a thrush infection going on 4 weeks now which is being treated by nystatin drops (i'm also using nystatin cream on breasts to avoid cross infection).

My worry is that she hasn't had "formed stools" ever since being infected. I know ebf baby stool can be loose, but hers are VERY LOOSE, sometimes frothy with little seeds. Is this normal? I'm not sure if whether this is diarrhea or not.

Pediatrician claims this is normal, second opinion claims it's overfeeding. I feed on demand until she pulls off.

Not sure if a result of yeast in the intestinal tract or overproduction of milk. She feeds on one breast per feeding w/out emptying breast.

She was 7 lb 6 oz at birth and currently weighs 11 lb 2 oz. She is wetting 5 to 6 wet diapers daily.

Help!!!

Default Re: Loose/Frothy Seedy Yellow Stools 5 wks

My six week old has the same stools. His pediatrician, my sil (who is going to be a ll leader soon), the lactation consultant, and the on call nurse I talked to said it's perfectly normal. I'm sure others can help you more with the info you need because I am definitely no expert. However I did read somewhere that your milk doesn't completely mature until around 6 weeks and that is when the baby's stools become firm.

Christie

Thanks so much

Smile Re: Loose/Frothy Seedy Yellow Stools 5 wks

my dd had the same stools after thrush infection accompanied by lots of gas. They went away after a couple days. And from everything I have read you cannot over feed a breast fed baby. The will only drink what they want.

Unhappy Re: Loose/Frothy Seedy Yellow Stools 5 wks

couple of days, huh? she's had this going on 4 weeks... worried

the drops might be making her poops look loose? Thats my guess.
    any food allergies in your famliy? Some place on line there is a link that has pictures of normal breastfeed baby poop I will try and find it.
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...erns.html#poop

ok here's the one with the pics.
    http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html

my kids always had very loose poops untill they were alot older then 6 weeks, they would wait a few days before going but it was still pretty loose.

Sorry i should have been more specific the frothy stools went away. They have only just now started to become thicker but still aren't formed.