Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NIGHT weaning my nine month old

Default NIGHT weaning my nine month old

I need some help please. I DO NOT want to stop breastfeeding my daughter... She and I both love it... But I really want to night wean her. I'm exhausted... frustrated and it's taking a toll on my marriage. We have got to get some sleep. I read the article by Dr. Jay Gordon... but we do not have a family bed and he says the baby should be al least 1 year old. Is there anyone who has night weaned their nine month old that sleeps in her own crib that can offer me any advice, PLEASE. I'm at the end of my rope...

Default Re: NIGHT weaning my nine month old

No I am sorry that I do not have any advice, My Thomas is almost 9 months and also still eats all through the night. Sometime I have found that even though he does sleep in his bed most of the time, for those marathon nursing times at night, sometimes it is helpful to have him in our bed. More sleep for us all. You have to do what is right for your family...Good luck. Just so you know, we are also trying to night wean, I meant to tell you earlier that I was recommend THE NO CRY SLEEP SOLUTION ( I think that it is league approved?) we have not tried it but I heard that it is GREAT!!!

I was trying to night wean my 9 month old. he would get up and i would try all different things to get him back to sleep, with no success. I gave it a week, and felt that he was just not ready yet. I'll give it a try another month or two. I know... it's exhausting!

Hmmm...have you already tried night weaning? How is it going?

Have you considered other sleeping arrangements? Perhaps when you go to your baby in the night, you could lie on a pallet on the floor (or extra bed, mattress, ect. ) with your baby? At least you could doze while your baby nurses. Can you nap when your baby naps?

Here's some info on night weaning:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

I second the recommendation of The No Cry Sleep Solution.

Hi, i am new to this site. I am also exhausted, night feeding my 16 month old daughter. Of coarse it is sweet and wonderful co-sleeping with her and being available for her, but it is also very tiring. I would like to continue breastfeeding, but i would like to try not to feed during the night. Someone once told me to use a sippy cup of water to give her when she wants to nurse. I dont know if that will work. It is hard to chase a toddler around by day with little sleep. It is harder when she is teething also. I really dont have any suggestions, except to involve your husband/partner, by having him rock the baby instead of you nursing. Once the baby realizes there is no milk, maybe they wont wake up as much. Im told this takes like 3-5 days. Who knows! Good Luck! Lesli

Quote Originally Posted by Katsmom
    I need some help please. I DO NOT want to stop breastfeeding my daughter... She and I both love it... But I really want to night wean her. I'm exhausted... frustrated and it's taking a toll on my marriage. We have got to get some sleep. I read the article by Dr. Jay Gordon... but we do not have a family bed and he says the baby should be al least 1 year old. Is there anyone who has night weaned their nine month old that sleeps in her own crib that can offer me any advice, PLEASE. I'm at the end of my rope...
    You have my sympathy!
    Being exhausted is no fun at all, is it?
    Something you should know, though... night weaning does not necessarily lead to the baby sleeping more!
    Babies wake up at night because they are hungry. Yes, even a nine-month old! Babies have tiny tummies - just the size of their fists! They are growing at a tremendous rate, so they NEED to eat often.
    You could certainly wean her from the breast to a bottle, at night, but you would still have to get up with her. Since it takes longer to get the bottle ready, the baby screams longer and has to be calmed down before she can eat... and then Mama is truly frazzled

Perhaps the problem is not so much the nursing as the waking - am I correct? There are several books in the LLL online catalogue that you might enjoy reading. They offer various approaches, all leading to everyone getting the sleep they need.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_sto...d=779163_10434
    Good Nights: The Happy Parent's Guide to the Family Bed (And a Peaceful Night's Sleep)
    by Jay Gordon, MD and Maria Goodavage

Sweet Dreams
    by Paul M. Fleiss, MD, MPH, FAAP

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_store/web_store.cgi
    NIGHTTIME PARENTING, Revised edition
    by William Sears

I do hope that this helps!

LLLnormaR

Thumbs up Re: NIGHT weaning my nine month old

Not to scare you or anything LOL but none of my children slept through the night consisentently before they were five years old.
    There are many reasons why they woke up at different ages besides hunger, there was also teething, illnesses, night fears, loneliness, bedwetting, need to go potty, thirst and so on.
    We really never encouraged night waking but learned early on as new parents that children need to be parented at night not just during the day. As adults we also wake up for many of the same reasons. We just try to meet thier needs the best we can and all go back to sleep, most often together. As adults we have learned to quickly go potty in the dark or to roll over from a bad dream or a night noise where children need our help in learning this skill.
    Often the harder we resist meeting the need the longer it persists.
    Find a sleeping arrangement that works best for you and allows you easy access to your child. There are times when small ones are sick and I know they will have extensive night time needs that my dh chooses to sleep in another room so he will be well rested for work the next day or even so he can relieve me a bit in the morning.
    I have also had to lose sleep over the years with much older children who have woke me up with wet beds or illnesses and needed me to come help them to clean up. They might need a drink or medication to help them go back to sleep. If they are in pain then they need me to lay with them and rub thier backs. Worse case they may need to be taken to the emergency room in the night or we may be up all night cleaning up bodily fluids.
    Parenting is really hard work and it is a big adjustment in the early years. Your sleep will never be the same again once you have children and you have to find other ways to get your rest. Many families enjoy regular pajama days. Our family does this. Sometimes I am just really tired and I let us all stay in pajamas for the day and we don't go anywhere or do much housework. The next day we all feel better. Other families find naps or storytimes to be very restful.
    Hang in there and you will learn what works best for your family. After seven children I am convinced that children sleeping through the night is a myth. I can also reassure you that as a mom you will learn to cope through sleepless nights. I don't believe I have had an uninterupted night since 1979.

momuvseven

All these responses actually made me feel better. Not one said they night weaned! I'm exhausted some days too but keep on parenting 24/7. No where else have I found relief from hearing, there really isn't a quick solution. Thank goodness for LLL