Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive&engorged at 5 months!

Default Overactive&engorged at 5 months!

I have been breastfeeding exclusively now for 5 months (as of today!) I figure in a month or so (whenever the little guy is ready) I'll slowly start the introduction of solids. I guess cereal mixed with breastmilk is a pretty common starting point. I want to begin storing some milk to mix with solids. Let me add I have had overactive let down since about the 4th week of breast feeding, which has been a challenge. I block fed, adjusted positions and carried around a receiving blanket as a sponge for my "spray" for months. About 2 weeks ago Benji started to be able to drink through my let down without breaking away or choking. Then silly me decided to pump a little on one breast (with the hand held pump). I didn't empty my breast, I just pumped through the let down and slightly beyond and got almost 3oz., which I froze. However, that night and over the next couple days this breast was extremely engorged and Benji could no longer keep up with my let down. I finally seemed back to normal and with advice tried to express a little milk (yesterday)just with my hand. (Nearly an ounce) and the same thing, last night I was heavily engorged and Benji is now crying again at my let down. Is this typical and is there any easier way of expressing my milk for future use, or should I just wait?

Default Re: Overactive&engorged at 5 months!

Hello and ,

Is your only purpose for expressing your milk at this point to have milk to mix with ds's cereal? While infant cereals are a common first choice food for formula fed babies, they aren't really necessary for breastfed babies. Many nursing moms find that a bit of ripe banana, mashed with a fork, is an easy, inexpensive, and nutritious first food. Check out the Starting Solids forum for more ideas.

You might want to consider hand expression as a way of expressing a little bit of milk when you need it. Some oversupplied moms have found that hand expression does not send their oversupply into overdrive the way that pumping can.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Thank you! I will definitely check out that thread. I've also heard advocado is a good starter food. Do you typically mix these with breastmilk also?

No need to mix the fruits and veggies with BM. They are plenty moist!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjimama View Post
    Thank you! I will definitely check out that thread. I've also heard advocado is a good starter food. Do you typically mix these with breastmilk also?
    Yup! Avocado is also a very good starter food. It's nutrient dense, with a nice, soft texture that is easy for baby to eat. Mashed, cooked sweet potato is another good one. As the previous poster mentioned, there's no need to mix breastmilk in with these soft fruits and veggies. It is a good idea to nurse the baby first before offering solids. This will ensure that your milk supply continues to keep up with baby's demand. It is important to remember that solid foods before baby's first birthday are complimentary, and not in place of, breastmilk. Between 6-12 months, solids are more about learning how to eat and enjoy food than they are about calories. Your milk is still the perfect food for your baby.

Here's a great link with more information: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

HTH!

Tiana

Thank you, again! I'll check this out. A lot of helpful tips!

You're welcome!

Tiana

Laura,
    I did have to mix some bm in with mashed avocado/banana/sweet potatoes for Joshua (when we first started) because it was still too thick for him to swallow. This helped thin out the consistency. If you do have to do that, you could hand express just a little to mix in

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK