Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wean night feeds to help sleep?

Default wean night feeds to help sleep?

My son is one year on Friday, and I;m considering weaning nighttime feeds now inthe hopes that he will sleep better at night. He barely nurses during the day, maybe twice after naps (he's much to busy to be bothered). At night however, he will nurse anywhere from 1-3,4 times. I wonder if this is not letting him sleep well at night. He is a good eater, he has solids 3x day and snacks when I can fit them in, recently started whole milk, but taking maybe 6-8oz a day (does yogurt too on occas). I;m just not sure what to do. I would not mind nursing longer, but really would like a full nights sleep. he does naps in his crib and starts the evening there, but ends up with us in bed.
    I guess I don't know what to try first,, attempts at sleeping in the crib longer, or night weaning.
    FYI have Pantleys book, very nice,, and he also uses a pacifer (maybe too much..,.. AGGhghg

Default Re: wean night feeds to help sleep?

might not work... I have one ds who didn't sleep all night untill he was 6 and then he started to wet the bed. I would rather they get up then wet the bed.
    Night waking runs in our family! My dad gets up in the middle of the night and has a drink and sometimes watches tv.
    I have a 3 year old dd now and she is just now starting to sleep all night..
    I haven't have a good nights sleep in about 10 years lol..
    so I know where you are comming from.
    She does sleep beter when she is in her own bed.
    good luck!

Hi there, It sounds like your son is doing a bit of reverse cycling. That is where they nurse mostly at night and not so much during the day. My ds is 14 months old and he also does that. I really try to nurse him as much as possible in the daytime, dark room, little distractions etc.... I have also read the Pantley book and think that it is great! I am not ready to make any changes so we are just letting things pan out the way that they do. Thomas wakes on average of 3-4 times a night still. I am hoping sometime during the year I can start to talk to him about his milkies sleeping, mommy sleeping and that it is time for Thomas to sleep also. I will also second the above poster that Thomas sleeps longer in his own bed. All the best!

Try cuddle and nursing once or twice in the evening and once as part of the bedtime routine. When my dd was in the weaning phase, I nursed in the AM, worked all day, nursed when we reconnected and perhaps once more, the bedtime nurse was the last to go.

thanks for the replies, I guess he wil do what he wants to do no matter what anyway. I seem to be doing OK, my husband doesn't like the night waking, it's hard for him to ge tback to sleep. I;m sure a solution wil present itself.
    thanks agan!

I know when we dropped our remaining 2 night feeds at 11 months he started sleeping thru the night within a couple nights - it was hard the first night as he woke and I just held him for a minute and he screamed when I laid him back down but he was asleep within 5 minutes and after the first nights rarely wakes anymore at all, and if he does its a little fuss and he settles himself back.

Pantley's book is good and her ideas seem to work well.