Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!Getting slack for not starting solids yet!

Default Re: Help!Getting slack for not starting solids yet!

i had outside pressure too from my family, but held to my guns and didn't start solids until a week shy of 6 months (it was Christmas day and I wanted his first solids to be on a memorable day) and when he didn't take to it, officially started other solids at 6 months. my LO was not interested in solids and still is not now at 7 months... so hang in there and don't offer solids yet!!! you'll feel proud when you make it to 6 months!

I agree with pp that you should do what makes you and baby happiest. I waited until 6 mos with dd and have gone real slow ever since. Remember the more food they get the less they nurse and will decrease your production. DD really liked organic sweet potatoes from our local farm mixed with BM. Have fun take your time!

Hang in there! I got LOTS of comments from family members about my decision to wait until at least 6 months, and we started our lo on solids at 6 months and 1 week or so. You have to do what's best for you. I know the feeling when family or friends make comments, but you have to stick to your convictions. As pp mentioned- they don't need the solids yet.
    We skipped rice cereal too, we did sweet potatoes first and then later I found an organic whole grain oatmeal cereal made by Earth's Best. I even found it at Walmart so I didn't have to make a special trip to another store. My dd likes it and I feel better knowing it's better for her than traditional rice cereal. So far at 7 months she's had sweet potatoes, the oatmeal cereal, avocadoes and carrots. I'm planning on starting something new. Good luck to you!
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07
    8 lbs 12 oz at birth, now 32 lbs!! and Baby #2 on the way!

I have a 4 month old. When I get these comments, I say "Why would I want to rush to solids? It just will make my life harder because I'll have to start preparing baby food and cleaning more dishes? I would just as soon delay the extra work as long as I can."

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Weird - I had heard that you weren't supposed to start solids until 6 months of age! Our ped told me to start a little bit early, 5.5 months, because we were having weight issues, but honestly, I don't think you're supposed to start them on solids before then. Something about the risks of allergies. I think you're totally fine - don't worry!

My niece didn't eat solids until she was 1 year old!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

In defense of rice cereal: my LO likes oatmeal (and we're able to get the Earth's Best organic kind which is great) but it's constipating for her. And because she's very picky about purees and purses her lips like crazy whenever she eats any, we take the puree on the spoon along with rice cereal. She eats the combo happily. And the rice cereal is a good source of iron, apparently. So I would say that it's a pretty good starter food because it's easy to digest, supposedly, and it mixes well with other food. Just make sure your LO is not allergic to the purees first.

Quote Originally Posted by beru View Post
    I have a 4 month old. When I get these comments, I say "Why would I want to rush to solids? It just will make my life harder because I'll have to start preparing baby food and cleaning more dishes? I would just as soon delay the extra work as long as I can."
    not only that, the poop is wayyyyyyyyy stinkier and messier!!! another good reason to wait!

6 mos or older is perfectly normal, but people used to the way they did it "back in their day" are always going to put their two cents in. I just smile and nod and do it the way I want to do it, especially when I know what's currently recommended by so many highly respected sources. That's the right of the parent (especially the mama)- not their kid- not their decision