Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning and business travel

Default Weaning and business travel

I have a nine-month old and was planning on weaning at 13 months (she was born a month early, so I want her to have the full year of breastfeeding from when she was supposed to be born!).

I travel for work on a regular basis - one trip every three or four weeks - and each trip lasts four days. I pump on the trips and this has worked fine for us since she was three months old (except the clogged ducts and two bouts of mastitis for me...). The milk that I pump on my trips comes home with me and is what my husband and our baby-sitter use to feed my daughter the next time I travel. Luckily, she has always easily adjusted to having the breast back when I get home.

What I'm wondering is when it comes time to wean - do I need to have her totally weaned before a trip if I don't want to pump for those four days? Or could I still be doing just 1-2 feedings a day and not need to pump on my trip? From what I've read, I might still have milk when I came home so we could continue breastfeeding.

My main reason for wanting to wean is the logistical difficulties related to pumping and transporting the milk. But, I'd love to breastfeed her longer if I could, provided I would no longer need to pump on my work trips. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or advice on whether I could go for four days without pumping but then continue to breastfeed her for 1-2 feedings a day? Or would that be too much stress on my breasts, so to speak, and lead to clogged ducts or discomfort for me on my trips?

Thanks for your help,
    Christie

Default Re: Weaning and business travel

You could always pump and dump on your trips, so you wouldn't have to have the hassle of transporting the milk home with you.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

I would think you will probably need to pump the number of times she is nursing a day, but once or twice a day would at least be less than you are doing now! And, for just a few sessions while you are gone, a manual pump or hand expression may be sufficient.

Thanks for your responses. As I was cleaning her closet this weekend, I found my manual pump and I had the same idea to take it along and just use that. And, depending on our milk supply at home and how well she's doing on whole milk, I may just pump and dump. I can remember the day when I never would have had the option of doing that!

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to traveling much lighter this summer!

I went away for a three day weekend last september when my daughter was 2 1/2 years old. She still nurses 2+ times a day and a few times in the night.
    I didn't take a pump and didn't have any problems whatsoever.
    She also started right back in the nursing the second I crawled into bed when I got home!

I would take a hand pump along as suggested though! :-) Hard to concentrate when you feel like your boobies are going to EXPLODE!