Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pulling off but no crying

Cool pulling off but no crying

Hi girls, today is my day for posting questions and I just thought of one more! My 3 mo old is constantly pulling off my nipple and then trying to latch right back on again with a open mouth. He's not crying or anything, and I know it's not that he's full because he'll start it after about 1 to 2 minutes into the feed. He just keeps doing it over and over again, on with one suck then off, over and over and over until I just can't take it anymore. I only have two possible reasons that I want to pass by you: One, I have been off dairy. My son never had blood in his stool, but he was having skin problems, was gassy, and was crying a lot during feeds. I stopped the dairy and it got better (but I always wondered if my stopping was just well timed with his digestive system maturing). Anyway, I've had just little bits of dairy, (I can't tell you how much I love butter), but no big glasses of milk or Culver's Icecream runs. Could this little amount of dairy be causing him just to be a little uncomfortable enough to pull off but not to cry? Second possible reason is that we are really battling with daytime naps. Could major overtiredness be causing him to be SO wired that he just can't relax while eating?

Default Re: pulling off but no crying

My son did the same thing for a while. I found out it was because my flow was too fast sometimes. It took me a while to find out what was going on... He was feeding fine and out of nowhere he would pull off and then wait and then get back on, and do the same thing over and over. I called a consultant and they had me do a test where I would stand up to feed and when the baby let go I would lean over a bed with a towel on it and I would just shoot everywhere. It may be that problem with you, and in that case your baby will just have to get used to it. As a matter of fact, that breast is my sons favorite now, he gets fussy on the other one because it doesnt flow as fast! Hope that helps!

Default Re: pulling off but no crying

I agree with Alisha. I believe OALD which can be a major source of frusteration in the beginning, children whose mother have it learn and adapt very quickly! He might be ANTICPATING an overwhelming amount of milk and be trying not to have to cough or choke. My son did this as well and he also became a "clicker".
    When we would see the LC she would try and try to repositon him and he was having none of it! Based on his weight gain she determined he had developed it as a survival technique. He was using his toungue to cover my nipples so he wouldn't have to let the overwhelming amount of let down "interrupt" his feeding! It's amazing what they can get figured out so early!