Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working and pumping logisitics

Default Working and pumping logisitics

Hi all,

I'm starting work next week, and not clear on how the logistics will work. I will work in my office only 1 day/week. I will have my own office to pump, but wonder how to handle the cleaning of parts in b/w pumping. I have only one set of flanges, so if I wash in b/w each pumping, they won't be dry by the next time I pump. So is it better to wash in between and have parts w/ some water, or better to just pump w/o washing throughout the day?

Also, I know you can add milk to previously expressed milk. My question is whether you pump directly into the bottle of milk from the fridge, or into a new bottle and then pour into the refridgerated bottle?

Many thanks for your help, what a terrific resource!

Laura

Default Re: Working and pumping logisitics

Hi,
    welcome to the forum!
    There is little need to wash you parts after every pumping session. Breast milk stays fresh for ten days or so in the refridgerator, so just pop the flanges and tubes in the fridge until the end of the day, or when you can get to them. The antibacterial properties of your bm will hold the bacteria at bay!

I don't think it matters how you want to add the milk you just pumped. Personally I was afraid of dropping the the stuff, so my vote is pump into another bottle. hth

I pump 3xs/day at work and wash the parts in between. I have one of those bottle drying racks in my office closet shelf and just stick the parts there to dry. Everythings usually dry by the next session.

I pump directly into the same bottles if they arent full yet. Like pp I worry about spilling, but am always VERY careful.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I agree with PP. I don't wash my pump in between, but rather keep it in the bag with the bottles and put it all in the refrigerator. It gets washed with hot, soapy water each night.

I don't pump into bottles that I've already pumped into.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I use the Medela quick clean wipes to wipe down the parts after each pump & then wash with hot, soapy water each night.

I do pump into bottles I've already pumped into if they are not full, but like pp have said - be careful not to spill!

GL!

i didnt wash between, just pop 'em in the fridge or cooler until ur ready to go again.

you can add to the milk, they say you should let it get similar temps, but i didnt and didnt have any problems.

good luck...we're here if you need anything
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I agree with pp about not washing in between pumping sessions. the antibacterial properties of bm are wonderful! I just wanted to add that I store my bm in lansinoh mommy's milk bags in my cooler bag after pumping. No one else gave that as an option, so I thought I would throw it out there. I find that's the easiest way for me to store my bm.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

oh yes, the lansinoh bags were my fav
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Really, why are you not supposed to wash them in between? I always rinse them with water and then pat try with a paper towel. is it bad if some water stays?

i agree. thanks for a great ressource!
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

I rinse my parts and sit them on a paper towel to air dry till next time....If they are still spotty I just wipe the off with a paper towel HTH
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png