Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Business trip...WWYD?

Default Business trip...WWYD?

In a few weeks I have to work at a conference. I'll be gone for 6 days. DD will be 7 mos old. I work FT so she is used to getting bottles of BM 3x's a day during the week. However, the sitter is on vacation that week so either I take DD with me (and DH to watch her while I work from 8am-9pm each day of the conference) or I leave her at home with DH and enough stash to get them through 6 days and then pump like crazy while I'm away. I've never been away from her overnight, so I'm not sure how she'd react to not nursing when she wakes up and goes to bed. Thoughts that are running through my mind:
    If I don't take her:
    1. What if she has a meltdown from missing mommy?
    2. What if she goes on a bottle strike?
    3. Will she wean after not nursing for 6 days?
    4. Will my supply suffer after 6 days of pumping?
    If I do take her:
    1. Is it fair to DD and DH to be cooped up in a hotel room for
    6 days? I won't see them much other than to nurse.
    2. Am I just overreacting and need to believe she'll be fine without me? I think DH thinks I'm just being too paranoid.

WWYD? Take her with or enjoy 6 days w/out baby?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Business trip...WWYD?

I would take her with me. I would miss my lo way too much to go 6 days without her & would worry like crazy about my supply/the nursing relationship.

I know it would probably be boring for DH & lo to be in a hotel for 6 days, but hopefully there can be something for them to do?

I agree with pp, take her with you. I think it would be hard to be away that long.

with above

Good Luck
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thanks all. Just needed some reassurance that I wasn't some overprotective, nervous, crazy woman afraid to leave her child. Or if I am at east I'm not alone
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

DH and I went on a 6 day vacation when DD was almost 1 (she stayed at home with my mom), and even though she was almost a year, we had some difficulties getting back into the swing of nursing. Because of that, my vote would be to take your LO along.
    Robin

i would definitely take her! 6 days would feel like forever if you don't!

my job routinely takes me away from my son for 9 days at a time. i've been leaving him since he was 3 months old. for us, he's totally used to it. so i wouldn't bat an eye at leaving for 6 days. our nursing relationship has never been adversely affected by me leaving. in 6 days, he won't forget you or how to nurse. when you get back, he'll be really happy to see you (and your breasts). just letting you know it won't be the end of the world if for some reason you can't take your lo.

If taking them is an option, that's what I would do, partly because I can't imagine being away for that long, and partly because I'd be afraid that my supply would be affected (but I have trouble pumping, so that might not be a problem for you).