Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush, ear infection?

Default Thrush, ear infection?

I've tried contacting my local LLL leader about this, to no avail. 5 days later and she hasn't answered any emails, and refused to deal with me unless I call. I'm reluctant to call, because if she's too busy to respond via email I don't want to bother her. Yeah, I'll call with a screaming baby.

My 3 and a half month old daugther has been doing this weird head twisting thing for about a week now. With my nipple in her mouth she is turning her head down into my breast, to where her face gets buried. Obviously this hurts because she doesn't let go, but mostly it makes for a long nursing session because she's not sucking while doing this. I don't get it. My nipples hurt as a result. I thought maybe she was doing it because of an ear infection, but she does it on both sides, even if I prop her up so her ears are exposed.

So then I though maybe it was thrush, since it can be painful to nurse, and my nipples are sore, but I don't know if they're sore because of her twisting them, or from thrush. She doesn't have a white tongue (which I read is a symptom).

I'm so confused. I'm reluctant to go to the pediatrician because I don't want her to end up on antibiotics for a "supposed" infection, so I thought I'd see if this seems familiar to anyone first.

It seems worse in the evenings when she gets tired, then she won't nurse, and when she does she yanks on my nipple.

What could it be?

Default Re: Thrush, ear infection?

Ear infection(s) or thrush would be my first guess, followed closely by teething.

It's possible for a baby's ears to both get infected at once. Any fever? Any sudden crying as if in pain? A dr's visit might be useful to rule this out, and even if the ears are infected, you could discuss with the doctor the pros and cons of treating with antibiotics (in Europe, for example, antibiotics are not given for the most common types of ear infections in children -- instead they treat for pain and let the body's immune system deal with the infection.)

If you suspect thrush, one way to rule it out is to treat for thrush and see if anything changes.

If teething -- any extra drooling? New interest in chewing or chomping? Do her gums look inflamed at all? If you give her some pain medication (acetaminophin or ibuprofen) or a homeopathic teething remedy (I always liked Hyland's stuff), and she stops the behavior, then that would indicate teething. Help her chew on a frozen wet washcloth before nursing; that may help.

I'm sorry to hear your local LLL Leader is blowing off your e-mails. Perhaps she is more comfortable communicating by speaking than by writing, but if that is the case she really shouldn't have her e-mail address as a public contact for her LLL work. Don't hesitate to call a different Leader in your general area.

--Rebecca

Well, just for kicks I pulled her off the breast during one of her little episodes and leaned forward over the bed, and low and behold, I shot milk everywhere!! I can't believe it! So, it must be that I have an OALD, or perhaps, just more flow/force then she's used too.

Even with my new found supply she has only gained 18 ounces in 6 weeks. That's 3 ounces a week. Less then the low end of "normal". She is having great diapers so I'm not too concerned, but it just confirms that perhaps there was nothing wrong with me all along. She's just a slow gainer. And fine by me, she's meeting milestones like there's no tomorrow!

If it's a let down issue, keep doing what you did--take her off the breast and let milk shoot into a towel until it slows down a bit. More frequent nursings might help, so that the breasts won't be over-full when she goes to nurse.

She nurses every hour, but I've stopped pumping during the day. She's having great diapers now (compared to when she was dehydrated - yellow, infrequent, smelly, etc) so I'll just keep an eye on them. I really doubted that I had come full circle, so I just kept on pumping. I pumped this morning on breast while I fed her on the other and had to change bottles half way through. I got 5 ounces! I'm am over the moon!