Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to know whether the baby is full or not

Default How to know whether the baby is full or not

I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to know when the baby gets full. My little on is 1mth old and he seems to drink forever from both breasts. And after he fusses, my tells me tat he is still hungry by looking at his stomach. Is this the correct way? If his stomach is standing out then he is full..but this never seems to happen when he BF..only when he takes the formula...

Wat happens is i feel as if i dont hve enough milk..so after BF, we give him formula which he drinks and then he has an upset stomach. He is throwing up milk and is irritated the whole night. Wat should i do?

Pls help....

Default Re: How to know whether the baby is full or not

what are his wet diapars like?
    what about poops?

what goes in must come out.

Babies all have a suck swallow reflux that causes them to drink from a bottle even if they are full.

Most breastfeed babies like to use up to 12 times in 24 hours and that is normal for them.

Does he ever pull of and have that "drunken sailor" look?

He is doing fine in the section of poop and diaper..but i dont knw if its because i hve enough breast milk cause we gve him formula as well..

As for the drunken sailor look..he gets on to the breast and falls asleep but still keeps sucking. I wake him up for burping to change the breast..then he gets up and does the same tin on the other breasts. Then when i think he has sucked long enough (i stop when i cant take anymore pain on my breasts),i put him down and he cries again to be fed.Then my mum looks at his tummy and says he is hungry. So then we gve him formula...

As for the suck swallow reflux, he smetimes does not drink the formula, so my mum says he knows when to stop...

Wat should i do?

how much formula are you using?
    What are your goals?
    To get rid of the formula?

Well..for his age, the formula is 120..so i gve him 60...
    As for my goals..i want to get rid of the formula but my mum says i dont hve enough milk..

I would love to be BF only....

ok so 120 whats?
    in oz how much is that?
    sorry to be dumb..

with my LO she has hit a growth spert here latly she is 2mo and is EBF but she will still eat maybe a bit much cuz she then spits up a lil at burping time...
    when we gave her formula the cpl times she had it she vomited it promptly!!!!

If it was me and yes i know it isnt i would stop with the formula i know the breast pain is bad BTDT but if you can i would stick with the breast and dont make him stop he will stop on his own when he needs to burp or when he is full.... If the breast pain is really bad it could be a bad latch???

My DH says that my LO says hungry when she is sticking her tounge out but she is just discovering it...

hang in there momma it gets easier and better

GOOD LUCK hope some of this has helped

thank you for your help...this site is grt..its good to know many ppl hve the same problems and they hve the solutions as well..

How often do you attempt to breastfeed? More frequent milk removal will increase your milk supply. I recommend pumping every time you supplement in order to get your breast the missed breastfeeding signals ( or simple bf more often ). This is why increasing the amount of time on the breast will help you produce more milk: the empty breast sends chemical messages to produce more.