Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not enough stools?

Default Re: Not enough stools?

Quote Originally Posted by VMinder View Post
    Oh I'm not giving it to her directly, I'm adding it into my diet. Sorry if I worded myself wrong. I wouldn't ever give her juice directly unless specifically told to do so by my doctor.
    Phew!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I am going thru this now also. DD is almost 9 weeks old. Eats, and pees well and is super happy. Its been 4 days and still no stool. I plan on calling the Dr tomorrow to say we are on day #5 of no stool. I read here that w/ a breasfted baby it can be 1 in 7 days or 7 in 1 day? Should that mean not to worry yet? I cant find any infant suppositories.

The hospital where I had my LO (3 weeks old) told me for constipation to try inserting a rectal thermometer to stimulate his bowels; to try adding some karo syrup (1tsp) to his milk if pumping; or to use a pediatric glycerin suppository... but I'm no doctor so speaking with yours is always best.
    The glycerin suppository got him moving right along,and no trouble since.
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

I would not recommend karo syrup, especially for such a young baby.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

i'm having the same problem with my 2 week old. today's the 6th day of no poop. She does have the wet diapers that is recommended. She's not a fussy baby either so I don't think she's constipated. Thanks for the note that BF babies use most all of the milk and leaves no waste. That helps in knowing that she is still a normal baby.

Quote Originally Posted by cklaboy View Post
    I am going thru this now also. DD is almost 9 weeks old. Eats, and pees well and is super happy. Its been 4 days and still no stool. I plan on calling the Dr tomorrow to say we are on day #5 of no stool. I read here that w/ a breasfted baby it can be 1 in 7 days or 7 in 1 day? Should that mean not to worry yet? I cant find any infant suppositories.
    Breastfed babies can go as long as 21 days without a stool at your dd's age! Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by newmamma08 View Post
    The hospital where I had my LO (3 weeks old) told me for constipation to try inserting a rectal thermometer to stimulate his bowels; to try adding some karo syrup (1tsp) to his milk if pumping; or to use a pediatric glycerin suppository... but I'm no doctor so speaking with yours is always best.
    The glycerin suppository got him moving right along,and no trouble since.
    It's not constipation unless the stools are hard pellets. When the baby has a bowel movement and it's still squishy breastmilk poo, then it's not constipation.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I would not recommend karo syrup, especially for such a young baby.
    Especially as it's not likely true constipation.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Hi all,

I wanted to ask for a EBF baby (3 wk old) is it normal to cry and strain while "trying" to have a bm? Our ds started out haveing a bm almost every feed, and they were loud and what I call explosive. But, the past 3 days, he has them maybe once a day, but the rest of the day, he cries, gets stiff, and you can tell he is trying to go, but can't. We also have a really hard time burping him after a feed. I have stopped him midfeed to burp, we've given gas drops, massaged his tummy, moved his legs, given warm bath, etc, but he still cries while trying to go.

Thanks!
    Heather

yes it is. They are begining to learn the physiological process of expelling waste. See the gastro colic reflex:http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41
    If you would like to explore the topic in greater detail simply click the newborn support forum and then click the new thread button. By starting a new thread on the topic you will attract people to your topic instead of burying it on another thread. hth
    Welcome to the LLL forum.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 20th, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

how old is she, my 6 week old had a poop in every diaper i changed up untill last week and now he poops 1 a day or every other day, if she is having her wet diapers and he poop is not hard (like she is constipated) then she is fine, some babies poop every 3-4 days some poop every day, there all different.
    good luck!!!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future