Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough stools?

Default Not enough stools?

I'm a first time breastfeeding Mother and of course have some worrys.

Any ways, my daughter was born jaundice so this started the breast feeding off a little hard. They had me supplmenting with formula after each feeding and immediately started us on the nipple shield. The lactation consultant at my hospital never showed me how to properly latch her on until our last appointment with her. It was basically she handed me the nipple shield and said 'use this'. Were still weaning off of the nipple shield.

Any how, coming down to what is concerning me. Up until a few days ago she was getting all of the stool diaper counts she needed every day for me to feel comfortable. She then went 2 days with out any, the third day I was going to take her to the ER (because our pediatricians office never answers their phone or returns calls), but she ended up having a very LARGE and explosive diaper. She has now again, gone today without any diapers with stools. She is however getting all of her wet diaper counts plus more.

Now I know, many will say change pediatricians, but I cant. Were a military family and were assigned a pediatricians office in our hospital. I can't change because of insurance, if I get different insurance, we wont be able to use the one that fully covers us now. Complicated. As of right now, we are feeding on demand, this is usually every 3 hours during the day (though were going through a growth spurt so we've hit about a 4-5 hour period where she'll eat for 15 minutes about every 15 mins to a 1/2 hour) and at night she eats every 4-5 hours (I cant get her to eat every 3 hours at night, she falls asleep).

Default Re: Not enough stools?

How old is she? My son stopped having as many dirty diapers after a few weeks, and they say this is normal. He usually just has one GIANT poop every day, but it is normal if your daughter goes a couple days. I believe as long as the poop is yellowish, curdy, and liquidy it's okay. It's constipation only if it is hard stuff that your baby has trouble passing.

As far the pediatrician thing, I am also an unfortunate victim of the military health system, but can you not change your child's PCM? I know that there are quite a few doctors who I don't like at our hospital, but we have found a couple good ones. We just switched our son's PCM to the family practice doctor I saw for my prenatal care, because I really like him. It did take awhile to switch because he was full (since he's actually a good doctor), but hopefully you can find a good one who will return your calls.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I agree with PP. Depending on the age this is probably just fine. I would also suggest you call your local LLL leader and/or an LC (better one preferably) and get some help over the phone, or in person if necessary.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Oh yeah, and here's a link:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I hve read on an internet site tat a baby is fine as long as he or she is having enough wet diapers and she does not cry while tryin to poop. If the poop is havin pebble like poop then she is havin constipation. My pedi told me tat BF babies, the rule for poop is 1 in 7 days or 7 in 1 day...

Is she drinking, then she is ok....

An old grandmother trick my mum told is to gve a very little amount of warm water if its more tan 3 days...it helps to bring out the poop...

Hope this helps..

My LO just turned 3 weeks this past Monday. I've spoken to a few veteran bf moms I know and they all said they had the same concern when their LO's were this young and weren't having stools every day.

She definetely has her wet diapers every day, we change about 9+ wet diapers on a daily basis. Were going on to day 3 now, again, of no stools. A friend of mine suggested that if Im really concerned to drink some Apple Juice or Cranberry juice since they tend to act as natural laxatives. They said this may help her go to the bathroom.

When she does have a stool, it's a tan yellowish color, a LARGE amount, liquidy and seedy. Which by what I understand is normal.

As for my Pediatrician, I would change her PCM but so far every doctor we have seen (General Family and Pedi) hasnt been very wonderful. Thankfully we are moving soon and will hopefully have a better outcome with new doctors.

Good luck to you with your move, and I hope you go to a place with a better medical center. Doesn't every medical facility have a patient advocate you can talk to? Especially if they are not returning your calls, maybe someone should know about that. Sometimes military medical care can be so frustrating! I'm glad at least I found a doctor we like.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by VMinder View Post
    My LO just turned 3 weeks this past Monday. I've spoken to a few veteran bf moms I know and they all said they had the same concern when their LO's were this young and weren't having stools every day.

She definetely has her wet diapers every day, we change about 9+ wet diapers on a daily basis. Were going on to day 3 now, again, of no stools. A friend of mine suggested that if Im really concerned to drink some Apple Juice or Cranberry juice since they tend to act as natural laxatives. They said this may help her go to the bathroom.

When she does have a stool, it's a tan yellowish color, a LARGE amount, liquidy and seedy. Which by what I understand is normal.

As for my Pediatrician, I would change her PCM but so far every doctor we have seen (General Family and Pedi) hasnt been very wonderful. Thankfully we are moving soon and will hopefully have a better outcome with new doctors.
    Ack! Please don't give juice to a 3 week old! BM is the best laxative. If there's a problem then it may be related to your diet...but you don't want to be giving anything but BM to a newborn if you can help it. They have a "virgin gut" (assuming they have not been given supplements thus far) that should be preserved if at all possible. Babies that young have immature tummies - "leaky guts"...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Ack! Please don't give juice to a 3 week old! BM is the best laxative. If there's a problem then it may be related to your diet...but you don't want to be giving anything but BM to a newborn if you can help it. They have a "virgin gut" (assuming they have not been given supplements thus far) that should be preserved if at all possible. Babies that young have immature tummies - "leaky guts"...
    Oh I'm not giving it to her directly, I'm adding it into my diet. Sorry if I worded myself wrong. I wouldn't ever give her juice directly unless specifically told to do so by my doctor.

You drinking it won't do her much good... but it will be good for you

You've received some good information here as to not worry.. they can indeed do days on end w/o a dirty diaper and it be reasonable, especially if its soft when it does come ( and it will )

Here's another helpful link

In fact, at 3-6 weeks of age, breast-fed babies may only have one stool a week. This is because breast milk leaves very little waste in the intestines to be passed. Again, if the stool, when passed, is not hard, this is completely normal. In general, it is almost impossible for strictly breast-fed babies to become constipated.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.