Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning help!

Default Weaning help!

My LO is 6 months old and has been exclusively BF since birth. I want to continue to BF but find that I also want to have others feed him from time to time as well, I have tried to pump into a bottle but he won't take it,(I have had my husband, mom and sister try to give it to him, not me) have I waited to long to introduce an alternate way for him to eat??? Has anyone sucessfully got their LO to go from breast to bottle and vice versa this late in the game? Any help is appreciated! Also he is still nursing 2-3 times a night! Is this normal? I have 2 other kids but this is the first time I have exclusively BF, so I feel like a rookie! Help!:

Default Re: Weaning help!

have you tried giving you lo EBM in a cup? maybe that would help. i know that olivia found a cup to be a huge novelty and loved having something new to try. at 6 mo, livy-monster still nursed a couple times at night. at the end (she nursed for a little over a year) she still nursed once during the night.

Try offering EBM in a sippy cup instead of a bottle. Many babies, including my own sister, never use bottles at all. ~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

My lo is 3.5 months and I've been working on the bottle with him for about 4 weeks now. It took about 3 weeks for him to take a bottle from me with no fuss. A lot of that time was spent finding the right nipple to meet his needs. I ended up buying the Playtex VentAire bottles with the latex nipples, slow flow. It's been a struggle, but persistence won. And this weekend for the first time he took a bottle from my husband with no fuss either. So it took some time, but he is doing much better with it.

A small, open cup is an option, too. And, yes, it's pretty normal for lo's to nurse at night.