Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hello, Nanas, how you doing?"

Default "Hello, Nanas, how you doing?"

I am curious about whether other nursing toddlers personify the breast, the way my daughter does (she is almost 2). I don't think of it as a problem; it's sweet, and part of her growing imaginative world. (I'm sure if it had seriously bothered me, I could have clamped down on it; so if I hope nobody will be put off ebf by reading this and finding it freakish!) But it's pretty intense right now, and I don't know anybody else who nursed this long (and I'm abroad, away from LLL groups); so I'd appreciate knowing from you guys whether other toddlers act this way.

My daughter pretends my breasts are a whole other person, like a special doll or teddy -- only more so, because she shares her dolls, trucks and other toys with my breasts. She likes talking to them, and wants them to talk back. She gives them presents; they express desires for food, water, toys ("nana want a banana, please please"; "THANK YOU", she ventriloquizes, when an imaginary banana has been offered); they apparently want to read stories with her, and particularly like magazines; if she sees a picture she finds interesting, she says, "Nana see it too!" When I say, "Let's go to the park", she says, "Nana come too!" She is also very protective of them: sometimes imagines they feel sad, and says, "Feel better, Nana". She has a similar relationship with elbows -- she tends to play with my elbows while nursing, and now has an intense play relationship with my husband's elbows, too, which has really helped their bonding. "Ambulance siren! Elbow hear it!" This is useful in public, I can usually get her to switch her affections from breast to elbow. So, I know all this sounds a little weird, but I think it can be hilarious at times. It seems a positive development for her: it's role-playing a good, loving relationship. I have moments of being weirded out, but then I can get usually get her to cut it out or switch to the elbow or teddy without major angst. But I'm curious: is this unusual behaviour? In what I've read, on this site and in "Mothering your nursing toddler", there are a lot of examples of toddlers who pretend to be the mummy nursing, or who offer their teddy a go at the breast. My daughter did that too. But now the breast has a whole mind of its own. Any of you have similar experiences? And is the elbow thing common? Does this sound strange?

Default Re: "Hello, Nanas, how you doing?"

Hi Emily,
    Nursing must be so important and meaningful to your daughter! She creates this whole world for them and takes on the role of their caretaker. But she also does this with other body parts, too, and this helps her play the same type role with her father. It doesn't sound strange to me, but then again, my dd creates whole scenarios with her fingers and hands (including naming them) and acts them out. Usually along the lines of dramatic rescues or family interactions. This happens all day long.
    Mary

I am sorry, but I find this so highly amusing!!! my daughter is only 8 months old, but I hope she does things like this lol I reallay am not trying to make light of your situation, but I truly think this is a very imaginitive fun creative thing your dd is doing and I think its adorable!

Emily,
    in this category on page 2 theres a thread called "Do you find it Creepy when" and it's a great thread with three pages of experiences about this very topic. My child is only 6months but it was upon reading that thread and all the wonderful loving things that mothers expressed about thier nursing toddlers that I moved my decision about breastfeeding from "at least a year" into the "self weaning" category. I think you'll enjoy reading it very much!

Emily,

I think that is the cutest thing!!!! i love the elbow thing too...that must make Daddy feel great!

Keep up the good work!

I think it's hysterical...what an imagination. If you are at all concerned, just find solace in the thought that she WON'T be doing this at 18. That's how I have to look at almost EVERYTHING my older ones do.
    I noticed that there are only 5 of us who have posted replies, but your original post has gotten over 80 hits.
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Hi Emily! I LOVED reading this! So much so that I saved it to read to DH. He got a crack out of it as well. What a special DD you have!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Talking Re: "Hello, Nanas, how you doing?"

Hi Emily,
    That is so cute! Your daughter sounds very sweet. My daughter just turned 22 mos. and does similar things, she calls them nanas too! She likes me to read stories to them, she sings lullabies to them "hush little nanas don't be sad" and will sometimes share them with her stuffed animals. She doesn't seem interested in daddys elbows but she does like to check out his "fuzzy little nanas"
    They are more like her friends than a way of nourishment at this point.

I LOVE IT!!! YOu made me smile. What a special little girl that is-- maybe a future oscar winner! I wouldn't worry one bit! DS is a little young to start doing it but if he did, I would have to giggle to myself every time- it shows how valuable they are to her!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My DD totally personifies my boobs. It cracks me up. She calls them "MY nunnies!" or "Jillie's nunnies!" She'll cover them up with a blanket and say, "Where nunnies go?" then uncover them and say, "There they are! I find nunnies!" She talk to them too, and has offered them snacks or toys as well.

The funny thing is, I'll point to her little chest and ask her what they are & she says, "Those are my boobies!" and if I point to mine & ask if those are Mommy's boobies, she says, "No, those are my nunnies!" LOL!