Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Red Bull & Monster

Default Red Bull & Monster

I'm going back to work soon. It's only 1 day a week, but I like to have an "energy drink" at work because it's a fast paced job & it really helps me. I have seen posts about coffee... what about these types of drinks? Also what about soda with caffeine?

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

Default Re: Red Bull & Monster

Caffeine isn't good for anyone, perhaps your could try meditation or exercise for energy before relying on a caffeine high?
    Last edited by ChasingPrisms; February 3rd, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Also, some of those energy drinks have herbal supplements in high doses. I would check the ingredients very carefully.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Maybe drinking a lot more water might help too? Being dehydrated will make you tired and caffeine might just make it worse. I work nights so I tend to get pretty drowsy at work, especially if I forget to drink water.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Hi, I have read alot of bad things about Red Bull especially. Its banned in a few countries already. Like the pp said those kinda drinks have alot of herbal things in them so be careful. I take an extra b-12 supplement and it helps alot.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Here are some helpful resources regarding caffeine:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/caffeine.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html (non-LLL resource)

As for energy drinks specifically, my best suggestion is to read the ingredients carefully and look up the saftey recommendations for each individual ingredient. If you know the ingredients, we would be happy to help you with that task.

HTH!

I too would like to know... I had a few of these before I was pregnant. I am a stay at home mom and I went to school at night... some nights this was the only way that I could stay awake. I would like to have a drink or two here and there, but I wouldn't with out knowing how it would effect my LO... I think that it could help in weight loss and just my energy level in general. I could do more and feel better thru out the day....

Carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, citric acid, taurine, natural flavors, sodium citrate, l-carnitine, panax ginseng root extract, ascorbic acid, caffeine, sodium chloride, niacinamide, riboflavin, guarana seed extract, inositol, glucuronalactone, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanobalmin

I think that the really bad stuff is the taurine, and it has about 2000mg in one can of monster
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

i would stick to regular caffeinated bev's- coffee, tea, or soda. They say 2c a day is fine and they've done more extensive studies on only caffeinated bev's- the energy drinks have all sorts of herbal additives that are also stimulants. /i don't know for sure about those, but i wouldn't chance it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Caffeine isn't good for anyone, perhaps your could try meditation or exercise for energy before relying on a caffeine high?
    imo thats not true for everyone. I would be more worried about the herbal additives that have not been studied much.