Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start pumping?!

Smile When to start pumping?!

I have a 3 week old baby boy and will be returning to work at 3 months of age. I plan on pumping so I can continue breastfeeding but I don't know when to start or how to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!

Default Re: When to start pumping?!

I started pumping once a day or every other day when my DS was around 6 weeks old, but I know many women start at around 4 weeks. It was nice to start pumping and freezing then so that I could have a nice freezer stash built up. I pumped first thing in the mornings, usually after I got DS down for a nap. If you belong to a local LLL group see if they have the book Nursing Mother Working Mother I checked that out from my group and it is a wonderful resource, has tons of good advice on working and BFing. Feel free to email me also if you have any other questions.

Hi,

I started pumping around 5 or 6 weeks to get ready to go back to work at 8 weeks. I agree with Amye--pumping after the morning feeding while the baby was asleep worked well, and the book Nursing Mother, Working Mother is great. This forum has some helpful pumping tips.

I found starting to pump a little intimidating and got my husband to help set up the pump & attach the bottle the first time. Make sure the suction and the speed are on the lowest setting before you turn it on!

Good luck and congratulations on your baby!

I started pumping around 4 weeks... when my daughter would only nurse on one side, I'd pump the other... or if she didn't nurse that long, I'd pump both sides. I built up a good supply of milk in the freezer this way. We introduced the bottle at about 5 or 6 weeks for one feeding a day. She never had problems switching from breast to bottle - what a blessing! After 8 or 9 weeks, I returned to work full time. I pump three times a day while at work and get about 15 ounces, and she usually takes 12 ounces while I'm at work, so I'm still building up a supply in the freezer for days when I dont pump as much (because of scheduling problems, stress, etc.). Pumping does take some getting used to, so just be patient with yourself!
    And, I agree that the book Nursing Mother, Working Mother was a wonderful resource!

Smile Re: When to start pumping?!

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I was a little overwhelmed about what to do and how to even start building up a supply. Thanks againg to the great advice!

I started pumping early too (maybe 3 weeks) to ease some engorgement but I think I ended up with an oversupply & fast letdown b/c of it, so don't start too early & when you do, start at the lowest speed. Don't worry about getting alot right now to save, just get used to the pump. DOn't let it interfere with your nursing. I ended up Eping for awhile b/c baby's latch was bad but now am back to nursing whenever I'm not at work. The supply will come so don't stress about it. Maybe b/c of the pumping but I am lucky that I don't have a supply problem so I end up freezing a ton. And I haven't had to dig into my reserves although I'm trying to use some to rotate the old out. Enjoy your time at home!!